Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- The 7 Wonders Facebook page has been posting cryptic teasers about 7/7/17 since at least May. Theories abound: it could be an app version of the popular game, the Armada expansion, or an “Anniversary Pack” expansion. Guess we’ll find out soon!
- Have you pre-registered for Gen Con yet? Tomorrow (July 1) is your last chance to buy tickets at pre-reg prices. With the 50th anniversary, it’s looking to be a packed event this year—Gen Con announced last week that the con may sell out for the first time ever.
- And while you’re getting your Gen Con tickets, come see GeekDad Jonathan Liu (that’s me!) and several other game reviewers at Cardboard Quills: A Written Reviewer Roundtable, and find out what it’s like to review board games, particularly with the written word.
- CMON Limited has acquired The Grizzled from Sweet Games (after publishing the English edition in 2015). The Grizzled: Armistice Edition, an expansion, is in development now, and will add a campaign element to this cooperative game about surviving World War I.
- Overworld Games, publishers of Good Cop Bad Cop, will be adapting their hidden-identity game for a Total Recall version. At least, that’s what they want us to think.
- Renegade Games and Dire Wolf Digital, who have teamed up for Clank! as well as the digital version of Lanterns, have announced that they’re working on a digital version of Lotus, the beautiful card game of growing flowers.
- Fans of digital deckbuilding games will want to sign up for access to Legendary DXP. Coming soon to the App Store, Google Play, and Steam, the app will let you play solo or with friends. Interestingly, this version of the game will be set in “the fantastical world of Alamyth” instead of an existing franchise like the physical games, which have included the Marvel Universe, Alien, and Firefly.
- If you enjoy Mystic Vale (see review here), you’ll want to fill out this survey from AEG to get a set of free promo cards for the game.
- The Game Crafter, a great source of custom game components for prototyping and game design, continues to add new products to their line. This month they’ve added laser-engraved wooden dice, compact packaging for your micro card games, and even some pewter miniatures.
- If you love the artwork in Vast: The Crystal Caverns, check out Kyle Ferrin’s Threadless shop! There are a few Vast-themed T-shirts (including a few designs from the upcoming Myserious Manor), plus some RPG classes if that’s more your style. Everything’s on sale until midnight July 4th—no coupon required.
- There will soon be a new way to immerse yourself in the world of Sentinels of the Multiverse. Greater Than Games introduced the Sentinel Comics Roleplaying Game Starter Kit, available in August.
- IDW Games hopes you’ll want to get your stinking paws on the Planet of the Apes, a cooperative game based on the original film in which “each player takes control of one aspect of Colonel George Taylor’s psyche.”
- Finally, Spot It!, the best-selling game of quick observation, has come to digital. Spot It! Duel is a free-to-play app for iOS and Android.
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Jonathan Liu introduced us to Button Shy’s Game of the Month Club, and had a lengthy session report about his group’s adventures through Deck 3 of Pathfinder ACG: Mummy’s Mask. Also, there’s a new version of Love Letter in town, and it’ll drive you crazy: Lovecraft Letter.
- Robin Brooks gave us an unboxing of Dark Souls: The Board Game to show off all the goodies it contains, and continues his “Warhammer 40,000 for Beginners” series.
- Following up on news that Geek Chic is shutting its doors, Ryan Hiller shared his experiences building his own gaming table, and it’s amazing. We’re all placing orders with Ryan now.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Jonathan Liu: Krosmaster Arena, Magic Maze, Codenames Duet, Kiwetin, Leaders of Euphoria, The Climbers, Helionox, Herbaceous, Lovecraft Letter, Master of the Galaxy (upcoming Kickstarter), Skulldug!, Zero Hour (upcoming Kickstarter), Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Mummy’s Mask
- Ryan Hiller: Lifeboat, Nuts, Traders of Osaka, Pathfinder RPG, Poker
- Mike LeSauvage: Unfair, Clank!
- Michael Harrison: Arkham Horror LCG, Lords of Waterdeep with Scoundrels of Skullport expansion, Love Letter, Stone Age
- Gerry Tolbert: Barenpark, The Dairy Man, Onirim, Century Spice Road
- Robin Brooks: Dark Souls: The Board Game, Zoo Ball (forthcoming from Osprey).