Each year Family Gamer TV picks the best family video-games for players of certain ages – Infants, Juniors, Teens, Students, Workers, Parents and Seniors.
At the end of each year viewers vote on these games to pick the Family Game of the Year in each age group and an overall Family Gamer of the Year. The 2011 voting finished last month and the votes have now been collated.
The 2011 Family Game of the Year is (insert drum roll here) Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure with 14.2% of viewer votes.
While this may not come as big surprise, the spread of votes for the different age group winners was less predictable. I was glad that the Kinect game Leedmees received good support as this was a game that a lot of the families I have spoken to really enjoyed. More surprising was the appearance of Skyrim and Uncharted 3 to in the list of winners. They must have more family gamers enjoying them than I thought.
Here are the winners in age-category order:
- Infant Game of the Year (3-6yrs) – Just Dance 3 ($29.99) with 14% of votes.
- Junior Game of the Year (7-11yrs) – Skylanders: Spyro’s Adventure ($50.99) with 15% of votes.
- Teen Game of the Year (12-17yrs) – Mario and Sonic at the London 2012 Olympics ($32.65) with 5% of votes.
- Student Game of the Year (18+) – Skyrim ($44.99) with 7% of votes.
- Parent Game of the Year – Uncharted 3 Drakes Deception ($41.00) with 9% of votes.
- Senior Game of the Year – Leedmees (800 points) with 5% of votes.
There is also a good spread across platforms with PC, 360, PS3 and DS games featuring, although none of the 3DS titles making it into a top spot. Move, MotionPlus and Kinect each feature for different games and continue to attract family gamers.
For more information on the Family Gamer Awards you can check previous winners as follows: