The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending June 14, 2019.
- James Mathe, founder of RPGNow and Minion Games, passed away this week. The industry is a lesser place without him. May he rest in peace.
- Plaid Hat Games is accepting pre-orders for Aftermath, the latest title in the Adventure Book Game series.
- The OP has announced Astro Trash, a real-time dice rolling game where players try to clear trash off their planet by pushing it off to their opponent’s planets.
- We reported weeks ago that The Op was developing a game based on the classic Christmas film Die Hard. According to their Twitter account, the game is due out in… July? Yeah, July. Christmas in summer, I guess.
- Another update: Days of Wonder’s Memoir ’44 New Flight Plan, which brings planes back to the miniatures WWII game, is now in stores.
- Several weeks ago, we reported on Amsodee’s creation of Gamegenic, a company devoted to producing gaming accessories. Now, they have announced the first set of accessories to be produced by the company: deck boxes, sleeves, and “other accessories” for Keyforge.
- Fans of Stargate can soon jump into the show’s universe themselves with the upcoming release of Stargate RPG, which will be previewed at Gen Con.
- Gen Con is only 6 weeks away, and so there will be more and more news. Only a limited number of 4-day passes remain, a reminder that certain events will be e-ticketed this year in what we hope is a move to get rid of all of the waste created by printed tickets, and finally, the con is running a Golden Envelope promotion this year. Anyone who chooses USPS Priority Mail as their shipping method by June 16 will be entered to have their packet shipped in one of 100 golden envelopes. Winners will receive a complimentary 4-day pass to Gen Con 2020.
- Only 6 tickets remain for our annual Gaming with GeekDad event at Gen Con. Don’t miss out!
Here are the games we’ve reviewed this week:
- Jonathan Liu reviewed Tiny Ninjas.
- Simon Yule wrote up his latest session of Dragon Heist.
- Robin Brooks wrote up the latest releases from Cubible7.
- I reviewed two pigeon-based games: Pigeonpocalypse and GeekDad-approved Stool Pigeon.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Jonathan Liu played Museum, Soulfall, Gen7, The Quacks of Quedlinburg, Tiny Ninjas, and Tussie Mussie.
- Simon Yule played Carcassonne: Inns and Cathedrals expansion, D&D Dragon Heist, and Risk Legacy.
- Robin Brooks played Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault.
- Rebecca Angel Maxwell played Fluxx, Mangaka, and D&D.
- I played Mapmaker, Pigeonpocalpyse, Phase 10, Tiny Towns, Stool Pigeon, Pirate Tricks, Mansky Caper (our featured image this week), and Carcassonne.