The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending October 12, 2018.
- Z-Man announced The Great City of Rome, a new game where players act as architects rebuilding Rome. Do you have what it takes to manage resources, develop blueprints, and rebuild Rome to its prior glory? Find out in early 2019 when the game drops.
- Catan Studio teamed with the Global Crop Diversity Trust to develop a semi-cooperative scenario game called Catan: Crop Trust. The Global Crop Diversity Trust serves a vital mission: banking seeds to ensure crop diversity, an imperative quest in a rapidly changing world. The game, premiering at Essen and available everywhere soon after, will not only mirror that mission but will give a portion of each game sold to the nonprofit.
- Portal emailed to say they would be releasing an in-store demo kit for their game, Detective. It’ll be reusable and a quick way to showcase this ground-breaking game. Ask your FLGS when they’ll be getting it in and, if you don’t have an FLGS, you’ll be able to buy the scenario for about $10 to play with the base game!
- This week’s pic? Expancity. Read our review.
- Children of the Empire was announced from Fantasy Flight Games. It’s the first “premium expansion” for L5R and will include 234 new cards, covering every clan, and a new mechanic that rewards low bidding.
Fantasy Flight also previewed the Mother of Dragons Expansion for A Game of Thrones: The Board Game. Yes, there will be dragons. What more do you need to know? OK, read on…
- The few games headed to shelves in the coming week include Koi, a beautiful light strategy game from Smirk and Laughter (it has awesome tokens too!), Between Two Castles of Mad King Ludwig (read our review), a really awesome mashup of two great games, and the Rocky Mountains Expansion for Whistle Stop, the great pick up and deliver game. (Note the sensible packaging!)
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Robin Brooks unveiled Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault and answered so many questions about the game. I mean, it’s really everything you probably need to know—unboxing, rules changes, and actual gameplay!
- Jonathan Liu had a timely review of the newly released, western-themed bluffing game, Most Wanted, from North Star. He also got into the Constable Expansion for New Salem, now on Kickstarter.
- Oh noes! Simon Yule ran into the ancient and evil Strahd, in his 73rd session of Curse of Strahd. Pray for Omarion. And Simon!
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Jonathan Liu: Evil High Priest, Dreams of Tomorrow, Extraordinary Adventures: Pirates, That’s Not Lemonade, Tidal Blades: Heroes of the Reef
- Michael Pistiolas: Reef
- Robin Brooks: Warhammer: Champions & Azul, Blood Rage
- Dave Banks: Spirits of the Forest, Sprawlopolis, Uno, Horizons