Here’s your Geek Daily Deals on gadgets, gear, and other useful stuff any geek family needs!
Geek Daily Deals:
Tabletop Games from Ravensberger:
When you think about “European-style board games,” the name Ravensberger is at the top, because they’ve been around. Consider this: the first board game from Ravensberger was published in 1884! So, they’ve been doing this for a long time. And they’ve produced a few of the most popular games around. And today, there’s a sale on many of them (plus a bunch of puzzles). Definitely a few great titles that you may have tried, but don’t yet own, or which would make great gifts for those friends and family members who are looking to dip their toes into gaming beyond Monopoly and Clue:
Labyrinth – a perfect game for families!
- Treasure hunting game with mythical maze
- Includes characters like dragons and princesses
- Teaches strategy and planning
- Designed for up to 4 players
- Age Requirement: 8+ (or play alternate version with younger children)
San Juan – Strategy Card Game
This important American city has been in the news for the last few weeks. Try playing a game that harkens back to the founding of this tropical city: Transform Puerto Rico into an economic and industrial powerhouse in San Juan, the card game based on the award-winning Puerto Rico board game. Race against your fellow colonists as you strive to buy up plantations and mines, and build industrial, commercial and government buildings. Become the dominant power behind the economy of this tropical paradise and show the world who is in charge of the island!
Anova Culinary Sous Vide Precision Cooker:
Every time the Anova Sous Vide cooker comes up as a deal, I included on our daily post. This device has changed our family cooking and eating habits SO much for the better. What’s sous vide, you ask? It’s science in action! The basic idea is that if you apply a constant temperature to anything, it will eventually find equilibrium at that same temperature. What that means for cooking is getting your meats (and other items) to the perfect doneness, all the way through, every single time, while retaining all those savory juices. Just last week, I prepared an apple-stuff pork loin via sous vide (with a quick finish in the skillet to brown the outside), and it was amazing! All you need is a pot of water and some zip-lock bags, and you’re ready to go. There are two models available, one that connects to at app on your phone via Bluetooth for local control, and one that uses Wi-fi, so you could literally set up the cooker in the morning, and then get it running from work/errands while you’re out and about later. Either one is great, but the Bluetooth model is on sale today for just $95, which is the best price I’ve ever seen for it:
- The Anova Precision Cooker brings sous vide to your home, so you can enjoy a cooking technique made famous by professional chefs for its incredible results
- Sous vide cooking produces restaurant quality results that are impossible to achieve through any other cooking method. Food is cooked evenly edge to edge, with no worry of overcooking.
- Heats and circulates water in the pot, evenly cooking food to a precise temperature to guarantee perfect results every time. Cook everything from meats, fish and vegetables to soups, and desserts.
- Easy to use – just attach the cooker to any pot, add water, drop in your ingredients in a sealed bag or glass jar, then press start. No fancy equipment required
- Simple interface on the device to set the time and temperature manually – or use the Anova Culinary app to find your cook settings and hit ‘Start’.
- Bluetooth connectivity enables you to start, stop and monitor your cook from your mobile device, so you’ll no longer be tied to your kitchen when you’re cooking.