Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- SPIEL will be taking place in Essen, Germany next weekend. Pack your bags, grab your passport, and let us know what great games you see there. We’ll be right here at home, waiting to hear, unfortunately.
- There’s a new expansion for Small World called River World. It sounds like a nice place to cool off on a late summer day, but the expansion will features an armed band of pirates and the ability … to see into the future!
- Modiphius Entertainment, known for Kickstarter funded games like Achtung! Cthulhu Roleplaying Game and Mutant Chronicles, announced a deal with Fantasy Flight Games to co-publish, localize, and for global distribution of their current Kickstarter project, Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel.
- Gen Con announced some key dates this week for Gen Con 50, the half century anniversary for the game fair and convention. Badge registration will commence January 29, 2017 and event registration on May 28. No word on when the annual brawl to find downtown housing begins. Gen Con 50 will occur a bit later this year, August 17-20.
- Super Dungeon Tactics is a bit closer to being a digital reality. The first demos for the chibi-style RPG went out to the press this week. Look for a GeekDad review soon.
- Geekway to the West tickets don’t go on sale for a bit, but a very small number of tickets to the new Patron program go on sale today, beginning at 10 AM, Central. Geekway will take place May 18-21, 2017.
- R & R Games announced a couple new party games this week, Hashtag Me, where players try to tell a story incorporating other players’ hashtags, and Ultimate Showdown, where you try to decide the winners in some crazy competitions, like whether Ben Franklin or the Easter Bunny would be a better babysitter. Both games are available now.
- T.I.M.E. Stories gets another expansion, Expedition Endurance. This one takes place in 1914, on board the Endurance’s failed Arctic expedition. This fourth expansion to the cooperative decksploration game will ship Q1 2017.
- The very popular strategy card game, Splendor, now has multiplayer capabilities in its digital iteration (it seems to have always had them in the analog version). The update also includes some new Challenge modes.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Anthony Karcz: Pathfinder Adventures on iOS
- Rob Huddleston: Ice Cool, Shadows Over Camelot, Happy Salmon, Five Tribes, Merchants and Marauders
- Samantha Fisher: Overwatch, Hearthstone
- Robin Brooks: Emergents: Genesis, which is a superhero themed competitive game and Battle for Greyport, a cooperative deckbuilder in the world of The Red Dragon Inn game. We also played a family favorite, Gubs. My kids have been playing Risk, using who-knows-what rules. Finally, I played a game of Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, for which a battle report should be appearing on GeekDad in the next week or so.
- Dave Banks: Vikings on Board, Dragon & Flagon, Karmaka