Jon Negroni is the writer who first brought us The Pixar Theory, his whimsical (but rather believable) idea that there is a cohesive universe where all the Pixar movies are set; one that starts with Brave explaining how animals and inanimate object come to life, with all the rest following. It’s fun; you should go read it.
Well, he’s got a follow-up that starts with a very simple question: who is Andy’s mom? From there, we follow a set of breadcrumbs that lead us to a very shocking possibility.
- Point the first: We never know Andy’s mom’s first name. She is only known as Ms. Davis.
- Point the second: Woody is an heirloom toy – well older than Andy, possibly owned by his now-gone dad.
- Point the third: The hat that Andy wears is not a Woody hat. It’s almost identical, actually, to a Jessie hat (though the hat band is a different color – may have been changed for/by him?).
- Point the fourth: In flashback, we see that Emily (no last name), Jessie’s original owner, had just such a Jessie hat.
- Point the fifth: Said hat is NOT one of the items that are given away along with Jessie when Emily grows up.
The not-crazy supposition that we can then arrive at is that Andy’s mom is, quite possibly, Emily – Jessie’s original owner.
Go read the whole post on Jon’s site to see the nuance and pictures, and then check out the further analysis in the comments.