The North Carolina Science Festival kicks off on September 11th. With hundreds of events scattered across the entire state, there’s something for everyone at the first of its kind festival.
One event of particular interest to most GeekDad readers is “An Afternoon with Adam and Jamie.” On September 19th at the Dean Smith Center in Chapel Hill, MythBusters Adam Savage and Jamie Hyneman will discuss their enviable careers, share behind-the-scenes stories and outtakes, and even screen a video of the show’s more spectacular explosions. They’ll also be taking questions from the audience.
Adam and Jamie can probably appreciate the theme of the festival: “Life is your lab.” The rest of the festival centers around this idea and features tons of cool hands-on science events in various locations across the state:
- Come face-to-face with all things creepy and crawly at Bugfest (North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, Raleigh).
- Check out the biggest exhibit of shell collections in North Carolina (Cape Fear Museum of History and Science, Wilmington).
- Explore the science of wine making (Shelton Vineyards, Dobson).
- Build an electromagnet (Imagination Station, Wilson).
- Take a guided bird walk (Jackson Park, Hendersonville).
- Tour a coastal research station (US Army Corps of Engineers Field Research Facility, Duck).
- Learn how movie professionals create special effects (Museum of Life and Science, Durham).
The festival runs from September 11-26. Event locations, prices and details can be found at the NC Science Festival website.
Keep an eye out for more coverage from the NC Science Festival and look for GeekDad at the events!