The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending May 31, 2019.
- GeekDad Joey Mills did a nice write-up this week on PaizoCon.
- Greater Than Games announced late last week that they had acquired Cheapass Games. The two companies already had a long-running relationship. Greater Than Games will take over fulfillment of Cheapass’ book, Cheapass Games in Black and White, which had a successful Kickstarter campaign earlier this year. There is no news yet whether future titles will continue to be published under the Cheapass Games brand.
- The Op, or USAopoly, has announced the pending release of a rare non-Fantasy Flight Star Wars-themed board game. Star Wars: Dark Side Rising will be a cooperative game where players take on the roles of heroes from the Rebels/Rogue One/A New Hope-era (Captain Cassian Andor, Leia Organa, Luke Skywalker, or Hera Syndulla) and work together to try to prevent the Empire from building the Death Star. Unfortunately, the game appears to be only available in non-US markets, which fits what we know about Disney’s licensing of Star Wars games.
- Stonemaier Games is taking pre-orders for the Scythe Modular Board. Pre-orders will ship mid-June, and the boards will be available at retailers on July 26.
- Stonemaier also has Wingspan update cards available, which correct a number of typos on the first and second printings of the game.
- Asmodee has announced the creation of Gamegenic Studios, which will be tasked with creating gaming accessories such as card sleeves, playmats, dice sets, and the like.
- Modiphius is developing a card game based on Agatha Christie novels. Agatha Christie – Death on the Cards is described as “a tense but fun card game of mystery, bluffing and deduction—where everyone is guilty but only one of them is guilty of murder!” The game will be previewed at upcoming conventions including the UK Games Expo, Gen Con, and Essen, and is due to be released by Christmas.
- River Horse is releasing an expansion to their Labyrinth: The Board Game title. The Fireys expansion adds miniatures of 4 Fireys and, importantly, Jareth. The base game is our featured image this week.
- Father’s Day is coming up, which lines up quite nicely this year with the June 13 release of Star Wars: Outer Rim. I don’t know if my family actually reads these, but I’m putting this here just in case.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Ryan Hiller played Starfinder RPG, Pathfinder RPG, and Pathfinder RPG Second Edition.
- Greg Howley played Spirit Island.
- Angela Leach played Forbidden Fortress and Legendary.
- Jonathan Liu played Sutakku and Heroes of Land, Air & Sea.
- Rob Huddleston played Magic: The Gathering, Crystal Command, and The Mansky Caper.