The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending April 19, 2019.
- $1 Billion. That’s the amount pledged so far to Kickstarter games, according to a blog post from the company this week. They also say that 3.4 billion backers have given their support to 17,000 games. Unfortunately, those numbers combine both video and tabletop games, but nonetheless, it’s impressive.
- At Star Wars Celebration, Fantasy Flight announced a new wave of X-Wing: Miniatures.
- Fantasy Flight has also announced the next set of boosters to Star Wars: Destiny—Spark of Hope.
- American Mensa announced its winners of the 2019 Mensa Select Tabletop Winners. Check out Jenny Bristol’s post for the list.
- I’m sure I’m not alone in having loved and consumed volume after volume of Choose Your Own Adventure books as a kid. And I’ve been intrigued by the new boardgame series based on the books, but unfortunately, haven’t had the opportunity yet to check them out. Soon, I’ll be even further behind with Z-Man’s upcoming release of Choose Your Own Adventure: War With the Evil Power Master!, which is now available for preorder.
- Also making its way from my childhood to the game table is the Saturday morning classic Superfriends. Cryptozoic has released a card game based on the animated TV show and build on its Gryphon engine.
- Hellboy fans have something to help cleanse their palettes after that horrible movie: if they missed the Kickstarter, they can now order both the regular and Collector’s Edition of the miniatures board game based on the property.
- North Carolina entrepreneur Kevin Gatlin has designed a series of bedsheets printed with boardgames. You can order a set of sheets printed with checkers, tic-tac-toe, word find puzzles, and more. But more important than ordering them for yourself, Gatlin’s website provides a way for you to order the sheets to be donated to a local children’s hospital.
- Jonathan Liu reviewed the GeekDad Approved Planet, which is our featured image this week, and Obelisk, which has a Crowd Sale going until Monday. Finally, he reaped the rewards with Herbaceous Sprouts.
- Rob Huddleston reviewed Sideshow Swap!
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Rebecca Angel Maxwell played Yahtzee.
- Michael Pistiolas played Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Keyforge.
- Jonathan Liu played Obelisk, Zombie Kidz Evolution, Call to Adventure, Cartographers, Incan Gold, GladiGala, Mammoth, The One Hundred Torii, Path of Light and Shadow, and Xenon Profiteer.
- Robin Brooks played Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault, Go Nuts for Donuts, Evolution, and Dungeons & Dragons.
- Michael J. played Amazing Tales.
- Rob Huddleston played Splendor, Campaign Trail, and Sideshow Swap!