The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending March 8, 2019.
- Memoir ’44, the 15-year-old game of WWII miniatures combat, has a new expansion coming soon. New Flight Plan reintroduces planes into the venerable series. (A previous expansion with planes has been out of print for a long time.) The new expansion is supposed to hit shelves in May. It includes 16 airplane miniatures and all of the stuff needed to support planes in the game. It’ll retail for $60.
- Modiphius is releasing a new RPG based on Fallout, and which is based on their already-existing tabletop miniatures game, Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. It’s due out this summer.
- Modiphius also announced this week that they will be the exclusive worldwide distributor of Iron GM Games sci-fi/horror RPG Grimmerspace, which was co-developed by Lord of the Rings star Sean Astin. The game is due out in May.
- We’re all familiar with “best game” lists in mainstream media being a collection of obvious titles like Catan, Ticket to Ride, and Monopoly. So it was a surprise to read the list published by Popular Mechanics this week of the 50 best new board games, which contains 50 titles those of us who are serious about games might actually want to play.
- Paizo has announced the second edition of Pathfinder, and set up a website with all of the goodies about the game. It’s due for release August 1.
- Stephen King’s IT is getting two new licensed properties: Clue: IT and Monopoly: IT. Clue is due this month, while Monopoly won’t be out until “later this year.”
- The new adventures of Captain Nemo, introduced in the 2017 novel, are coming to the tabletop with WizKid’s Nemo Rising: Robur the Conqueror, a cooperative, scenario-based game due out later this year.
- Rob Huddleston wrote a “Reaping the Rewards” update on The Primary. He also reviewed Villainous: Wicked to the Core.
- Jonathan Liu reviewed Catalyst. It’s our featured image this week.
- Will James reviewed My First Castle Panic.
- Logan Giannini reviewed Thrive.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Rob Huddleston played Villainous: Wicked to the Core.
- Jonathan Liu played Gùgōng, #VECTOR, Catalyst, Crypt, Gen7, and Planet.
- Rebecca Angel Maxwell played Timeline and D&D (2nd Ed).
- Will James played My First Castle Panic.
- Robin Brooks played Keyforge.