The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending February 1, 2019.
- Gen Con has a new mascot—a fierce dragon drawn by Craig Spearing—and they are holding a Twitter contest to give him a name. Winner receives a 4-day pass to Gen Con 2019. You can get details and submit your entry via Gen Con’s twitter feed.
- Asmodee has a new Global Director of Organized Play, Alex Watkins, and he’s starting out his new job by making some big changes to Fantasy Flight’s Organized Play structure. So if you’re a fan of those X-Wing tournaments, you might be interested in his blog post on the changes. And can I just say how cool it is to be a gamer in an age when “Global Director of Organized Play” is someone’s actual job title?
- Have you ever wanted to combine the relaxing serenity of a perfectly tended stone garden with the stress of losing a cooperative game? If so, Z-Man’s upcoming Narabi is the game for you. You can pre-order it from their website.
- Matt Leacock, creator of Pandemic, the Forbidden games, and more than likely several other titles on your shelf, has a new “roll and build” game due for release at Gen Con. Era: Medieval Age also features artwork from Azul artist Chris Quilliams.
- In the mood to read about games when you aren’t playing? Check out Brittanie Boe’s The Everything Table Top Games book, coming this summer from Simon & Schuster.
- For a quick overview of some exciting new Kickstarter games, check out Jonathan Liu’s latest Kickstarter Tabletop Roundup here on GeekDad.
- Casual Game Insider has announced that Welcome To… won both the judge’s and public votes for Best Casual Game of 2019.
- Jonathan Liu took a look at Hyperspace.
- Robin Brooks gave us 5 Reasons to Read Warhammer Adventures, which also includes a giveaway.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Jonathan Liu played Wingspan, Mechanica, Haunt the House, and Vindication: Leaders & Alliances.
- Robin Brooks played Keyforge and Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault.
- Angela Leach played Dragonfire and Tanks: Modern.
- Michael Pistiolas played Pandemic Legacy: Season 2, Sword & Sorcery, and Coconuts.
- Simon Yule played Dungeon Mayhem and D&D Waterdeep: Dragon Heist.
- Rob Huddleston played Happy Little Accidents and Jurassic Park Danger! Adventure Strategy Game.