The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending November 30, 2018.
A quick summary of this week’s board game news:
- Khanh Hung Dong from Canada won the first-ever Ice Cool World Championship, which required two hours of flicking penguins around the board. No word yet on how long before he regains feeling in his fingers. This week’s image is of Ice Cool.
- In other world championship news, Magnus Carlsen successfully defended his World Chess Champion title after a long match that went into a series of rapid-fire tie-breakers earlier this week.
- Is the board game industry heading towards a bubble? North Star Games’ Nick Bentley has a pretty interesting look at the state of the industry on his blog.
- Asmodee Digital is offering a Humble Bundle, which includes Steam-based digital versions of seven games including Agricola and Colt Express for as little as $1, and nine more, including Pandemic, Small World, and Splendor, for at least $8.
- 2014 Spiel des Jahres winner Camel Up is being re-released in an all-new edition that ditches the cardboard-and-rubber-band pyramid with a new, less charming plastic one, engraved plastic dice, a giant and apparently purely decorative palm tree, completely new graphic design, and new game modes.
- Iello’s The Mansky Caper is also now available. I played a very early prototype of this at Gen Con two years ago and recall enjoying it, so I’m curious to see the final product.
Games we’ve reviewed this week here on GeekDad:
- Jonathan Liu reaped the rewards for Fireball Island: The Curse of Val-Kur.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Jonathan Liu played Root, The Big Book of Madness, Crypt, Heroes of Land, Air & Sea, Imhotep: A New Dynasty, The Shipwreck Arcana, Startups, Sushi Go Party, Tem-Purr-A, Vindication, and Word Domination.
- Rob Huddleston played The Primary, Promenade, and Shadows Over Camelot.
- Robin Brooks played Dungeons and Dragons: Curse of Strahd. 1066: Tears to Many Mothers, Magic Maze, Soundiculous, Outfoxed, and Pirate Plank.