To those fans who have been casting wishful spells in the direction of LEGO hoping for new sets: maybe the magic is working for you after all! LEGO announced this morning the upcoming LEGO Wizarding World of Harry Potter minifigures series.
Over 20 minifigures will be available for $3.99 each, indicating to us that this will likely be blind-pack based. This is a blow to those of us who really don’t need another pile of Harry Potter minis, regardless of the new Invisibility Cloak accessory, which I must admit is a bit charming. No, we will have to take our chances in a Bertie-Bott’s-inspired game of chance in which we might get the terribly exciting Neville Longbottom minifigure sporting a mandrake, or Dobby, complete with Tom Riddle’s diary and a cast-off sock.
Like earwax-flavored beans, though, there are always those which are destined to be disappointing. Percival Graves and Cho Chang, for example, required me to check the full list of characters to even identify who the mini was supposed to be. Below the slideshow, you can see a full accounting of the new minifigures, due to be released August 1st, 2018.
The Wizarding World characters, in no particular order include:
- Newt Scamander + niffler and briefcase (Ooooh, shinies!)
- Jacob Kowalsk + cookie case (Omnom)
- Queenie Goldstein + bread (The noms continue.)
- Tina Goldstein + hotdog (Moar noms.)
- Harry Potter in Hogwarts robes + Hedwig (Required nod to brand identity.)
- Ron Weasley in Hogwarts robes + Scabbers (Matching trio option.)
- Hermione Granger in Hogwarts robes + Crookshanks (Epic hunt for Scabbers to ensue.)
- Percival Graves + alternate hair (I pity the piles of this guy nobody wants.)
- Harry Potter in pajamas + invisibility cloak (Oooooh cloak!)
- Neville Longbottom + mandrake, pot, and earmuffs (Wat. Must have!)
- Luna Lovegood + copy of The Quibbler (Reading upside down encouraged.)
- Mad-Eye Moody + costume change (Spoiler alert.)
- Credence Barebone + flier (A fair likeness.)
- Dobby + Tom Riddle’s diary and sock (Okay, who has been reading my diary?)
- Cho Chang + owl (Pretty standard blind-bag fare.)
- Draco Malfoy + Quiddich gear (Green brooms are a thing? Also: snitch!)
- Cedric Diggory + Triwizard Cup (The feels are real.)
- Dean Thomas + Griffindor flag (Where’s Seamus?)
- Professor Trelawney + teacup (Nice.)
- Professor Flitwick + megaphone (Weird Sisters must be in town.)
- Professor Dumbledore with Pensieve (Best accessory award.)
- Voldemort + Nagini (Okay, I might be buying piles of these…)
Which are your favorites? I will be sitting here for the next 6 weeks convincing myself that I won’t buy these by the handful. It’ll be a pile of lies, but I’ll tell myself this until I’m scrounging for change to buy my 45th blind pack hoping for a Nagini.