Selecting the perfect present is never easy, especially if you know someone has a specific hobby but you know very little about it yourself. In many households the world over there are spouses, parents, progeny and friends all scratching their heads, trying to come up with the perfect D&D gifts. So what do you buy a Dungeons & Dragons fan? Here’s my top 10 D&D gifts.
1. If they don’t already own it, the official Player’s Handbook is the perfect D&D gift for any fan. Containing all 12 playable classes, as well as the original races, spells and backgrounds, it’s all a player needs to get started building their first adventurer. $29.99
2. If they already have the Player’s Handbook, then perhapsXanathar’s Guide to Everything is what they’re after. It’s the latest official addition from Wizards of the Coast and contains a whole host of new features and options for players to choose from. Highlights include new playable character options and sub-classes and lots of new spells. $29.97
3. Dice, Dice, Dice. Any tabletop aficionado will agree: you can NEVER have enough dice. So if you’re looking for simple, easy D&D gifts and want to go a little bit beyond a single set of six die, then this Pound-O-Dice from Chessex could well be the ideal present. $21.52
4. These great Tees from Guerrilla Tees feature cool slogans and artwork based on Dungeons & Dragons and roleplaying games and make excellent D&D gifts. $14.99
Alternatively, for the smarter D&D fan there’s this awesome D&D tie. $24.99
5. If they haven’t already read it, Of Dice and Men is a great book that details the story of Dungeons & Dragons, its “turbulent rise, fall and survival”. David M. Ewalt delivers an epic nerd-out making this a faultless D&D gift for players, DMs and everyone else. $9.60 Paperback, $13.33 Kindle
6. For a new Dungeon Master who’s just starting out you cannot get better than the Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set.Included are the basic rules, six pre-generated characters, a set of six polyhedral dice and the excellent adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver. This is one of the best official D&D products out there and delivers a fantastic introduction of how to play the world’s greatest roleplaying game. $28.97
7. DMs always need a good screen to hide behind and the Dungeon Master’s Screen Reincarnated has all the info they could possibly want. A perfect quick-reference guide for everything that a player can do on their turn, as well as some impressive cover art. $10.71
8. Experienced DMs will love the content provided in these essential supplements from Kobold Press.Prepared and Prepared 2 offer solutions for those game sessions where players go off the rails on an unexpected tangent. Each book contains encounters and mini-adventures for every environment and character level and are perfect D&D gifts that your DM will surely love. $14.99 – $19.99
9. Like dice, a DM can never have enough minis. So when choosing the perfect D&D gifts you should definitely consider an Dungeons & Dragons: Icons of the Realms: Monster Menagerie 3 Booster Pack for the official Wizards of the Coast figures. These usually come with four minis of varying sizes and are themed to suit the current campaign. But you don’t have to stop there, why not be a bit more creative and get them a big bag of zombies or dinosaurs? These would be especially appropriate for the latest Tomb of Annihilation campaign. $14.65 for the official figures or $12.29 – $15.97
10. If they have the books, the screen, the dice and the minis, then the next most obvious D&D gift is a battlemap. This Chessex Roleplaying Mat is reversible with 1 inch squares on one side and 1 inch hexes on the other. $22.99
Disclaimer: Kobold Press provided copies of Prepared and Prepared 2 for review purposes.