Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- That day you always suspect but never really expected to arrive is here. Gen Con 4 day badges have SOLD OUT. It’s gonna be crowded. One day badges are still available, but on site, sales will be suspended this year–so order now! And if you’re already headed to Indy in August, come hang out with GeekDad. We have two events going on Thursday night and we’d love to see you!
- The 7/7/17 announcement surrounding 7 Wonders that Jonathan wrote about last week when filling in for me (Thanks, Jonathan!) seems more and more like it might be an app to celebrate the game’s 7th anniversary. This was found this past week, but who knows? We’ll find out today! UPDATE: The big reveal is a new website for 7 Wonders, with rules, game aids, and more from the game and expansions. Note that music auto-plays when you load the site.
- Renegade has updated their companion app to support Clank!: Sunken Treasures, adding single-player and some mini quests to the expansion. (See Jonathan’s review of Sunken Treasures.) The app already has functions for Fuse, Flatline, and Lanterns and is available for iOS and Android.
- Fantasy Flight announced a new Catan this week, which will be based on A Song of Ice and Fire. A Game of Thrones Catan: Brotherhood of the Watch looks pretty cool (heh), will be shown at Gen Con, and will make its way to stores in Q4, later this year.
- Burgle Brothers, the mobile version, is very nearly, almost to your phone!
- Asmodee will be adding three new games to its popular escape room game line, Unlock!. Players will gather in a (gulp) haunted house, submarine, or tropical island in The House on the Hill, The Nautilus Traps, and The Tonipal’s Treasure–all available in Q4.
- Ultra Pro has a cooperative game on the way that’s based on the upcoming Luc Besson film, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets. Valerian: The Alpha Missions will feature tile-based exploration with plenty of surprises!
- Z-Man released some details about Valletta, an Ottoman-Empire-crushing-Malta-themed, city-building game with some deck builder to it, due later this summer.
- Over at CMON, they have a developer’s diary about A Song of Ice and Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game, which will be funding in the first five minutes (or less) when the Kickstarter launches later this month.
- Now for that moment your wallet has been fearing: next week’s tabletop releases!
- First up is a game that you may already find on shelves, Arena: For the Gods from Iello. I played this one last night, and if you like King of Tokyo, you’ll love this.
- Champions of Midgard gets not one but two expansions. Valhalla adds resources and a variety of other tweaks, while The Dark Mountains adds a fifth player.
- Sword & Sorcery sees an overhaul with a new base system. With it a variety of accessories also come to shelves like dice, doors for your minis, and more.
- Finally, move quickly in Pit Crew, a game without turns, for 2-9, and endless planning, fueling, tire changing, and repairs. (How do you spell the sound an impact wrench makes?)
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Robin Brooks continued his 40K for beginners series–Part 3!
- Jonathan Liu urged us to join the Casual Game Revolution.
- Michael Harrison turned his in-depth podcast, The Dice Section, toward Stone Age this month.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Michael Harrison: Love Letter, Lords of Waterdeep with Scoundrels of Skullport expansion, Stone Age (which we discuss in-depth during the latest Dice Section podcast)
- Anthony Karcz: Monopoly Gamer Edition
- Will James: Heroes of Kaskaria, Sunrise Safari, Hanna Honeybee, Lil’ Lemonade Standoff
- Jonathan Liu: Magic Maze, Happy Salmon, Master of the Galaxy (upcoming Kickstarter), Millennium Blades, Champions of Hara (upcoming Kickstarter), Deep Sea Adventure, Kingdomino, Lovecraft Letter, Raiders of the North Sea, Skulldug!, Word Domination
- Robin Brooks: Warhammer 40,000
- Gerry Tolbert: Word Domination, Onirim, Century Spice Road, Spires, Unreal Estate
- Dave Banks: Hive (lots and lots and lots of Hive), Happy Salmon, Tak, Gravwell, Celestia, Splendor, Onirim, Arena: For the Gods!, Dice Forge