UPDATE: This post is updated as of 17 Aug 2017 to reflect the addition of Wednesday showings and updated giveaway information.
GeekDad is proud to partner with GKIDS and Fathom Events to present Studio Ghibli Fest 2017, the opportunity to see six of Hiyao Miyazaki’s anime films on the big screen! What a great experience to share with your kids (and kids-at-heart!)
One weekend per month through November, Studio Ghibli Fest 2017 will feature one Miyazaki classic in Fathom Events participating theaters, starting on June 25th and 26th with the big-screen presentation of My Neighbor Totoro, delightful for all ages! Even though I have teenaged sons now, they have always enjoyed Studio Ghibli films and are looking forward to seeing as many of these as their schedules will allow. We are lucky to live within walking distance of a theater that’s offering these films and we are totally ready to see Totoro later this month.
Read on for more information about the Studio Ghibli Fest 2017 offerings:
- First of all, check to see which theaters near you are presenting Studio Ghibli Fest 2017. Visit FathomEvents.com and enter your city or zip code and see which theaters are near you.
- Each of the six Studio Ghibli films will be presented on the last Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday of the month, from June through November 2017, per the schedule below. The Sunday presentation will show at 12:55pm (local time) and will be dubbed in English. The Monday showing will be at 7:00pm (local time) and will have English subtitles. The Wednesday showing will be at 7:00pm (local time) and will be dubbed the same way as it was on Sunday. Click the name of each film to easily purchase advance tickets through your theater, Fandango, Atom Tickets, or MovieTickets.com.
- My Neighbor Totoro – Sunday, June 25 and Monday, June 26
- Kiki’s Delivery Service – Sunday, July 23 and Monday, July 24
- Castle In The Sky – Sunday, August 27, Monday, August 28, and Wednesday, August 30
- Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind – Sunday, September 24, Monday, September 25, and Wednesday, September 27
- Spirited Away – Sunday, October 29, Monday, October 30, and Wednesday, November 1
- Howl’s Moving Castle – Sunday, November 26, Monday, November 27, and Wednesday, November 29
- Nationwide, advance tickets are $12.50 per person*. The bad news is that this is the cost even for children, seniors, and students. The good news is that if you live somewhere with $20+ movie ticket prices, such as in Manhattan or San Francisco, this will sound like a bargain to you.
- If your participating theater is affiliated with either Cinemark or the Regal Entertainment Group, and you are planning to see each of the six films on the big screen, consider the $60 series pass. This gives you one admittance into each of the six movies for as much as 20% savings over standard box office prices. There are special gifts included with purchasing the series passes, check out the links above for more details.
- If your participating theater is AMC Theatres, and you have an AMC Stubs Card with which you can purchase tickets through AMC’s website from now through June 27th, you will be automatically entered to win a trip for two to the Ghibli Museum in Tokyo, Japan, including two museum passes and a $4,500 gift card to cover airfare and accommodations. Pro tip: Anyone can enter the contest — no purchase necessary — through this link (scroll to where it says OFFICIAL RULES and select the words “ALTERNATE ENTRY FORM” on the far right); be sure to enter by June 27th.
*Some online ticket retailers may charge taxes and service fees.
Stay tuned to GeekDad in the coming weeks, starting on June 19th, for more news about Studio Ghibli Fest 2017. Why? Because each Sunday prior to the Sunday/Monday showing (starting June 19th), GeekDad will be offering a giveaway for three lucky winners to receive a code redeemable for one pair of tickets to the next showing!