Welcome back to the latest edition of Re-Spawn where GeekMoms and GeekDads share video gaming news that caught our eye in the last week and let you know what we’ve played recently.
- Netflix will be producing a television series based on The Witcher. You can read IGN’s reveal, which is where I found out about it, but the gist is that it will be based on the 8 book series, not really so much on the game. The idea of seeing The Witcher come to life on my screen is exciting either way. I’ve played the first two games in The Witcher series.
- Old Man’s Journey released on 05/17. This puzzle game for STEAM, Android, and iOS looks like a charming, rambly adventure where you play an old man who sets off to recapture faded memories and make amends for things in your past.
- XField Paintball 3 was announced for PC on STEAM this week. XFP3 is officially licensed by 20 top paintball organizations and gear manufacturers. It will feature current league tournament layouts so that players can experience the same layouts as the pros. Following the rules of paintball, this first-person shooter will be slightly different as it will take into consideration the one shot and out rule of paintball as well as the physics of paintball shooting that involves downward arcs which makes it much harder to stay safe when concealed than in other shooter games.
- Blizzard News:
- Destiny 2 will soon be playable on Battle.net. Or is it the Blizzard App? Blizzard Launcher? I don’t even know anymore what this thing should be called but if you’re a Destiny 2 fan you’ll soon join the ranks of people logging in through this multi-named access point. I haven’t caught a date yet, so let me know if you find out first.
- Not necessarily new but I often stumble upon older videos that I still find fun and relevant and this one brought me much joy. If you read this article weekly you’ll catch on that I play a lot of Overwatch so any videos that let me see behind the scenes of one of my favorite games is worth a share.
- Microsoft Xbox‘s latest:
- Current Games with Gold are Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams – Director’s Cut (05/01 – 05/31), Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (05/16 – 06/15), and LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (05/16 – 05/31).
- You can check out the games on sale right now on the Deals With Gold page.
- You can always view current and upcoming releases on the Nintendo Games Store page but the highlights are:
- Shadows of Valentia: Fire Emblem Echoes released on 05/19.
- ARMS features were announced. You can read all the details on their blog page here. The game launches on the Switch 06/16.
- Splatoon 2 (releasing exclusively on Switch 06/21) will have a single player adventure mode.
- Playstation has announced several upcoming releases for the PS4 since my last update.
- Be sure to bookmark The Drop on the Playstation blog where each week you get a detailed list of synopses of all the games coming out the next week. I wasn’t really overwhelmed by the offerings for next week and I’m hopeful the old format is back next week for The Drop so we can more easily see the previews.
- STEAM has lots of one-day or weekend sales and you should bookmark their News front page so you can keep up on them. Here is a link to the Specials section of the STEAM store as well.
GeekMom and GeekDad often write about video games. Here are the full-length articles on our site from the last week:
- Z. told us “10 Things Parents Should Know About ‘Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia‘”
- Evil Genius Mum told us about gamers raising money for charity via the “Checkpoint: 48-Hour Gaming Marathon for Mental Health.”
Below are the video games some of the GeekMom and GeekDad crew have been playing lately.
- Anthony Karcz: Hearthstone, Transformers: Forged to Fight, and Marvel Puzzle Quest (iOS)
- Mike LeSauvage:
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, SnipperClips, Puyo Puyo Tetris, and Has-Been Heroes (Nintendo Switch)
- Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm (PC)
- Z: Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS)
- Randy Slavey: Farpoint (PS4)
- Stephen Clark: QuiVR (Vive)
- Samantha Fisher:
- Overwatch (PC)
- CardShark and Candy Crush Soda Saga (Android)
- Paperback, Sudoku, Transformers: Forged to Fight, and Boggle (iOS)
Have you played any new games this week? Send me a comment or hit me up on Twitter (@samanthafisher) to let me know what you’ve been playing.