Reading Time: 3 minutes
Welcome back to the latest edition of Re-Spawn where GeekMoms and GeekDads share video gaming news that caught our eye in the last week and let you know what we’ve played recently.
- Gain access to the private beta if you pre-order Call of Duty: WWII. Going back in time with this release, Call of Duty appropriately starts you off on the beach in Normandy on D-Day and the game leads you through Europe much as the WWII battles progressed. It offers three gaming modes: Campaign, Multiplayer, and Co-Operative all with realistic weapons and graphics to make you feel like you’re really there. Rumor has it the latter has a ‘horror mode’ so be warned if zombie/undead action isn’t your thing. The actual game doesn’t release until 11/03/17 and is available on Xbox One, Playstation 4, and PC. You can pre-order on the Xbox and Playstation sites or from the Call of Duty website that links you right to the different retailer sites. I’m sure it goes without saying but this video is not for the eyes of your wee ones.
- Microsoft Xbox has a few new updates for us this week.
- Forza Horizon 3 has a Hot Wheels expansion releasing 05/09/17. Even if you’re not a racing game fan you should check out the video for the release. The entire thing is created from in-game footage but looks like one of those bait-and-switch cut scenes MMORPGs like to use to sell their games then the gameplay looks nothing like what you saw in the trailers. View the video and order the game on the Xbox here.
- Current Games with Gold are Ryse (04/01 – 04/30), The Walking Dead: Season Two (04/16 – 05/15), and Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (04/16 – 04/30).
- Finally, you can check out the games on sale right now on the Deals With Gold page.
- Nintendo’s upcoming May releases are all for the Switch (surprise, surprise). You can always view current releases and upcoming releases on the Nintendo Games page but the highlights are:
- Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers (05/26/17)
- Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (05/19/17) which also has a Limited Edition option.
- Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition (05/11/17)
- Playstation has announced several upcoming releases for the PS4 since my last update.
- WipEout Omega Collection is available for pre-order (06/06/17)
- Middle-earth: Shadow of War is also up for pre-order but you’ll wait a bit longer for the release date. (08/22/17)
- GeekDad Mike LeSauvage is a little too excited about the upcoming release of GNOG. You can pre-order it on the Playstation website but here is the trailer video straight from the GNOG website:
- Make sure to bookmark The Drop on the Playstation blog where each week you get a detailed list of synopses of all the games coming out the next week.
- STEAM has lots of one day or weekend sales and you should bookmark their News front page so you can keep up on them. Here is a link to the Specials section of the STEAM store as well.
- EVERSPACE is a successful Kickstarter to which you can now get early access. It is a fast-paced space battle shooter game and I have to say the gameplay trailer kind of got my adrenaline going. Check it out.
GeekMom and GeekDad often write about video games. Here are the full-length articles on our site from the last week:
- Shiri Sondheimer let her adorable kids give you a video review in “Geek Kids Review: ‘Toca Life: Hospital’ and They Think It’s Pretty Great.“
- Kelly Knox told us “5 Ways ‘Mario Kart 8 Deluxe’ Is Even More Fun for Kids.”
- A.J. O’Connell showed us how “‘YIIK: A Postmodern RPG’ Invites You to Game Like It’s 1999.“
Below are the video games some of the GeekMom and GeekDad crew have been playing lately. Given International Tabletop Day was this week, it isn’t surprising our pixelated versions are a bit light:
- Will James: Transformers: Forged to Fight, Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes, Star Wars Force Arena, and Puzzles and Dragons (iOS)
- Anthony Karcz:
- Hearthstone, Transformers: Forged to Fight, Star Wars Puzzle Droids, and Marvel Puzzle Quest (iOS)
- Heroes of the Storm 2.0(PC)
- Mike LeSauvage:
- Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality, Overwatch, Forts, Twisted Arrow (PC)
- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
- Samantha Fisher:
- Overwatch, and World of Warcraft (PC)
- Shuffle Cats, Pokemon Go, and Scattergories (Android)
- Paperback, Boggle with Friends, and Lords of Waterdeep (iOS)
What have you been playing or which games are you most excited to play this week?