Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- The Spiel des Jahres nominees and recommendations came out this week. Do you have a favorite? Have you played them all?
- IDW will be releasing a cooperative adventure game based on the supernatural, Japan-based comic of the same name, Wayward. The game will be designed by Jon Gilmour (Dead of Winter).
- Warhammer Fantasy Role Play is coming back. There aren’t many details yet, but it will take its cues from the first and second editions of the game and be developed by Cubicle 7.
- Fantasy Flight released some more information about their reboot of Legend of the Five Rings; a closer look at some of the cards and more on the Crane Clan is available here. You’ll be able to stand in (a likely very long) line) and get a copy at Gen Con or wait until fourth quarter to get your copy.
- Plaid Hat released another look at the Warring Colonies expansion to Dead of Winter. Can’t we all just get along?
- A few big games making their way to stores this week: Renegade’s Flatline: A FUSE Aftershock Game, the sequel to last year’s enjoyable, cooperative dice placement game, FUSE. Next, Fields of Green, a Kickstarted drafting and tile placement game, inspired by another of designer Vangelis Bagiartakis’s games, Among the Stars. Fields of Green will be making its way to stores under the Stronghold Games banner. Finally, Akrotiri is getting another printing from Z-Man. The hand-management, pick up and deliver game is set in Classic Greece and encourages players to excavate temples–may the gods bless you!
- The firefighters in the upcoming Hotshots will have so more work to do with the (also upcoming) Kaiju Crush. Arriving November 1, you’ll be responsible for a giant city-crushing monster. Details are starting to come out and it looks pretty great–can’t wait!
- One of my favorite Spiel des Jahres nominees is Raiders of the North Sea. It’s a really fun worker placement… that is nearly impossible to get a copy of. So I was ecstatic when I saw Renegade is picking up the publishing rights and the game will be in stores later this summer.
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Jonathan Liu pointed us toward the Roll Player expansion and reprint Kickstarter. I just got my copy and can’t wait to play.
- And on the heels of Fast & Furious 8, Jonathan Liu turned over the goods on a Kickstarter real-time racing game called Project NOS. Will you be fast enough?
- Will James gave us an early preview at the upcoming Fallout tabletop game. Collect your caps–wargaming is coming to the wasteland.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Ryan Hiller: Pathfinder RPG, Onitama
- Anthony Karcz: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1
- Mike LeSauvage: Roll for the Galaxy, Imperial Assault
- Jonathan Liu: OrganATTACK!, Photosynthesis, Ghost Fightin’ Treasure Hunters, Roots of Mali, Valiant Universe: The Deckbuilding Game
- Jenny Bristol: Pocket Dungeon Quest
- Gerry Tolbert: Meduris
- Dave Banks: Last Friday, Frogriders, Inis, New York Slice, Via Nebula, Tower of Madness (prototype), Between Two Cities (with Capitals expansion), Lunarchitects, Great Western Trail, Raiders of the North Sea, Biotix, Coldwater Crown, Dungeon Lords, Welcome Back to the Dungeon, Hive Mind
- Robin Brooks: Norsaga, Frostgrave, Shahrazad
- Evilgeniusmum: Kwintessens (Kickstarter)