Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- Renegade Games announced Flip Ships, a cooperative dexterity game by Kane Klenko, the designer of FUSE and Covert.
- Also, Renegade and Oni Press are teaming up for Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Game, a deck-building game by Keith Baker about figuring out how to adult. (I’ve played an early prototype of this one and I’m looking forward to the game’s release this summer.)
- WOTC announced D&D Beyond, a digital toolset for D&D 5e, in partnership with Curse. Sign up for the beta now.
- Catalyst Game Labs has plans to release two new Shadowrun games this fall—a card game (in June) and a board game (at Gen Con).
- Bezier Games announced that Palace of Mad King Ludwig, a standalone sequel to the wacky tile-laying Castles of Mad King Ludwig, will be released in October. Pre-orders are open now.
- Gen Con’s CEO Adrian Swartout will be stepping down after this year, to be replaced by David Hoppe. Swartout will continue to serve on Gen Con’s Board of Directors.
- CMON has hired designer Eric Lang as Director of Game Design—to the delight of fans of both the publisher and the designer.
- And in case that wasn’t enough, at GAMA this week CMON announced a new game… of thrones. Yep, A Song of Ice and Fire is planned for a late 2017 Kickstarter launch. (In the meantime, Kickstarter better upgrade their servers before then.)
- Games Workshop also had some announcements at GAMA: a whole new race for Warhammer: Age of Sigmar, the “Kharadron Overlords” aka Steampunk Duardin, aka dwarfs, which feature some cool new models including some that are carried over the battlefield by balloon.
- Also from Games Workshop: two new small skirmish type games. Shadow War: Armageddon, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, will feature small units of troops fighting it out over a new modular terrain system. Units will have the opportunity to grow and improve over the course of a campaign
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Mike LeSauvage: Dominion, Clank!, Haiku Warrior, Lotus, Breaker Blocks
- Robin Brooks: Shadows Over Camelot, Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal
- Rob Huddleston: Divinity Derby
- Samantha Fisher: Stroop, Splendor, Yahtzee
- Ryan Hiller: Pathfinder RPG
- Jonathan Liu: Kingdomino, Knot Dice, Gloomhaven, Herbaceous, PACG: Mummy’s Mask, Rise to Nobility (upcoming Kickstarter), Sea of Clouds
- Chris Wickersham: Sat and looked forlornly at his newly arrived Vast box