Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- The first episode of TableTop, Season Four debuted (somewhat abruptly) Wednesday. It’s the first of two free episodes before the show switches to a subscription model. Season Four will be available for free in February 2017.
- Fantasy Flight’s Elder Sign gets a horrifying expansion. Lovecraftians know what evil lurks beneath the waves, and in Omens of the Deep, the dice game will bring your terrifying nightmares to life.
- If you like legacy games, watch this fascinating video, hosted by Jamey Stegmaier and including Rob Daviau, Isaac Childress, and JR Honeycutt–everyone who has designed a legacy game, to date.
- Cryptozoic announced Attack on Titan Deck-Building Game. The game uses Cryptozoic’s Cerberus Engine and also offers cooperative play.
- A few items from Renegade Game Studios. First, Lanterns, which was TableTop‘s game this week, is now available on iOS and Android thanks to partner Dire Wolf Digital.
- What’s more, Lanterns will see its first expansion later this month with The Emperor’s Gifts, designed by Jason D. Kingsley. Renegade also announced the February release of Castles of Caladale, a tile-laying game where magic has destroyed the castles of the land and it’s your responsibility to create new, beautiful castles from the remains.
- Portal Games narrowed down the release of First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet, a game by Ignacy Trzewiczek and based on Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island. You’ll be able to play either as a series of scenarios or as part of a complete campaign where one scenario affects your status in future episodes. The game will be released Q2 next year.
- Iello announced not just one but two expansions for the dice rolling, city building Steam Park. The first, Play Dirty, is a modular expansion that also includes enough bits for a fifth player. Robots replaces wooden tokens with cool plastic minis. It also introduces new visitors for the park.
- I’ll also remind you that GeekDad now has a guild at BoardGameGeek. We invite you to join and subscribe, so we can build community over there, as well.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- RobHuddle: Unspeakable Words, Merchants and Marauders, and Oregon Trail
Ryan Hiller: Exploding Kittens, Kittens in a Blender, Superfight
- Will James: Spires, Pathfinder Adventures on IOS
- Anthony Karcz: Pathfinder Adventures on IOS
- Michael Harrison: New Bedford, Cosmic Encounter, and a triumphant return to our Planescape 5th edition D&D campaign
- Robin Brooks: Gamewright’s Outfoxed
- Jonathan Liu: Mystic Vale, City of Spies, Dicey Goblins, Tiny Epic Quest
- Dave Banks: Dimension, Ice Cool, Unspeakable Words, Word Domination, Zombie Dice, The Dragon & Flagon, and Oceanos
- Gerry Tolbert: Wordsy, 5-Minute Dungeon, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles