Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- Break out your Ouija boards–it’s almost Halloween! Or check out our suggestions for Halloween board games.
- GeekDad now has a guild at BoardGameGeek. We plan on doing a weekly digest of game reviews and using it as a place to ask and answer questions. Please join us!
- The Fantasy Flight Games World Championships will be held next week in Minnesota. There will be lots of social media surrounding the Championships, including live-streaming events.
- Fantasy Flight will also be hosting an upcoming event to introduce their Star Wars dice and card game, Destiny. (Wait, FFG has Star Wars games?)
- There are a few days left to enter Cryptozoic’s Halloween Giveaway… sorry, “EPIC TRICK OR TREAT GIVEAWAY AT CASTLE TENTAKILL!!!
- Mysterium has a suggested Spotify playlist to accompany the spooky seance game. Me? I just have “Grim Grinning Ghosts” on repeat.
- We usually stay away from Kickstarter news at Re-Roll (that stuff is covered elsewhere on GeekDad), but I’ll get in trouble if I don’t mention Pathogenesis, which has already funded. Loren and Jamie Cunningham are in my local game designers group and Pathogenesis is pretty neat. They even have a con crud card!
- Spend $125 at Steve Jackson Games (Zombie Dice anyone?) and get a special Halloween Monster-boxed Munchkin.
- Tabletopia will be demoing some spooky games this week for Halloween. Stop by and give the platform a try.
- Years after releasing Stoner Fluxx, Looney Labs is turning to another intoxicant. Drinking Fluxx (adults only) will be released in July 2017, on the 21st birthday of Fluxx.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Gerry Tolbert: Kumo Hogoshi, The Networks, Betrayal at House on the Hill:Widow’s Walk, The Crow, Wordsy, and Five Minute Dungeon
- Anthony Karcz: Spellslingers, Vast: The Crystal Caverns, and Pathfinder Adventures
- Will James: Pathfinder Adventures
- Jonathan Liu: The Colonists, Cottage Garden, Guild Masters, Imagine, Mystic Vale, Universal Rule, Yeti
- Robin Brooks: I returned to DMing for the first time since my youngest was born. I played D&D 5E for the first time, choosing Curse of Strahd as recommended by GeekDad RoryBristol. I did so using Trello boards as recommended by GeekDad Michael Harrison. On the way home from my D&D weekend, I stopped off at Warhammer World and played a game of Age of Sigmar in the game’s hometown. I also got to see lots of miniatures and dioramas from my formative years at the Warhammer Museum.
- Dave Banks: Dimension, Dragon & Flagon, Oceanos, Watch Ya’ Mouth!, Diabolical!
- Samantha Fisher: Village Crone, Here Kitty Kitty, Sushi Go