Love Minecraft? Sure you do. It builds creativity, teaches real world skills, and is fun for the whole family. If your kids love the pixelated world of Minecraft as much as mine do, then you may want to check out the four week Minecraft “Metropolis Madness” tournament beginning October 19th in select theaters.
Targeting gamers from 6-16 for the Minecraft event (but others are welcome too), Super League is the first and largest recreational league bringing fans of video gaming to compete, socialize, and play video games together on the big screen. At the event, gamers bring their own preloaded laptop, log into their own Mojang account, and play Minecraft as they normally would, but with new worlds, custom adventures, and team builds–all with a bird’s eye view on the theater’s large movie projection screen. The league and all of its games feature a “city” theme, drawing from historical US landmarks: the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Alcatraz Island, Central Park, and more. Additionally, according to the Super League website, at this event there are many formats in custom maps which players can experience including:
- Mayhem: Free for all! Players duel other players in a custom battle arena.
- Build: Teamwork rules in this cooperative, themed building session that varies each week.
- Crystal Crater: Our unique, cooperative game of resource survival competition. For example, you might be an astronaut on a distant moon and your life support is dwindling. In order to survive, you and your teammates must quickly find energy crystals at the center of the giant crater and return to your capsule to buy more time!
- Pixel Painter: Each team is given a secret word to draw on the big screen. While your team draws your word, the other teams race to be the first to guess the secret word by typing it in chat.
- Zombies: Each team defends themselves against an increasingly dangerous wave of brain-eating enemies. Survival is the key to winning points—the more waves you survive, the more points you earn.
Tickets are $80 per person for the entire four week period. The Super League Minecraft “Metropolis Madness” league tournament will run every Wednesday from 4:30pm–6:00pm for four weeks from October 19 to November 9. A list of participating theaters can be found here. To learn more about Super League Gaming in general, check out the embedded video below.