The Force Awakens opens this weekend. Have you heard? Many of you have probably already seen it; some of you may have seen it twice. And I’d venture to guess that most of you have plans to see it in the very near future.
If an adult-oriented Star Wars-themed party is part of your viewing plans, then you’re in luck! As everyone knows, it’s all too easy to organize a party that ends up being just a bunch of Trade Federation Neimoidians standing around talking about the taxation of trade routes. And, believe me, that’s no one’s idea of a good time.
Don’t your guests deserve more? Of course they do. With that in mind, we scoured the outer rim for a few recipes that should take your party to the next level. It’s time to say good-bye to Nute Gunray and hello to the infinitely more hip Kylo Ren!
I should note that I haven’t personally tried all of the below recipes. However, I did mix up a few of them – notably, the Finn Shooter, Rey-tini, and Poe-jito. I hightly recommend them all. Remember to drink responsibly!
The BB-8 Bellini
Anyone (or any droid) that can handle the harsh sands of Jakku and keep on rolling needs a cocktail to match their scrappy, fun personality, and this orange treat does the trick!
- 4 oz chilled Prosecco
- 1oz blood orange
- 1 oz white peach puree
- Pour the blood orange and white peach puree into a chilled flute and top with Prosecco.
Are you still mourning the death of Darth Vader? Well don’t worry — so is Kylo Ren. In fact, the only thing more bitter than him is this cocktail as red as his crossguard lightsaber.
- 1 oz Amaro Lucano
- 2 oz red wine
- 0.8 oz tonic water
- 0.5 oz sugar syrup
- Mix the drink directly in the martini glass and serve with a slice of lemon and orange, a sprig of mint, fruits of the forest and ice.
The First Order Stormtrooper
The First Order Stormtrooper is reporting for duty with a classic cocktail that’ll knock you right out of your boots.
- 1.5 oz gin
- tonic water
- Fill a large glass with ice. Pour gin and top with tonic water.
Any former Stormtrooper needs a stiff drink to help him wash away the things he’s seen, and the Finn Shooter is just what the medical droid ordered.
- 0.5 oz Black Bottle Blended Scotch Whisky
- 0.5 oz white sambuca
- Pour together into a shot glass.
Old Fashioned Phasma
Galactic Riot Control requires a boots-first, ask-questions-never kind of approach, and the Old Fashioned Phasma delivers the same kind of butt kicking as its namesake.
- 3 oz Usquaebach Reserve Scotch Whisky
- 1 oz almond orgeat
- 3 dash orange bitters
- Grated cinnamon stick
- Stir all ingredients. Strain. Serve over rocks, garnish orange peel.
Jedi Mind Trick
The force is strong with this blue cocktail — and it’s definitely the drink you’re looking for.
- 0.5 oz dry vermouth
- 1.5 oz The London Nº1 Gin
- lemon twist
- Stir wet ingredients in stirring glass or Boston shaker. Double-strain into Martini glass. Garnish with lemon twist as preferred.
After dealing with all the wretched hives of scum and villainy on Jakku all day, someone like Rey needs to kick back and relax with a tequila martini that kicks as much butt as she does.
- 2 oz Partida Anejo
- 0.75 oz freshly squeezed lime juice
- 0.5 oz agave nectar
- 1 oz champagne
- Build all ingredients except the champagne add ice shake and strain into a martini glass. Top with one ounce of champagne and garnish with a long lime twist.
There’s nothing stronger than the bond between an X-Wing pilot and his astromech. This smooth mojito won’t knock you out and will help you stay in the fight till the end!
- 2.5 oz Diplomatico Reserva
- 1/2 orange, cut into 3 wedges
- 1/2 lime, cut into 3 wedges
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 or 2 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 cup crushed ice
- Put the oranges, limes, sugar, and mint in a large rocks glass. Muddle the leaves and citrus by pressing them with a pestle or a wooden spoon until juicy and fragrant. Add the rum and ice. Cover with a cocktail shaker and shake until combined. Enjoy