It’s hard to believe, but it’s true. Summer is waning. Even here in North Carolina, where the hot season tends to linger a little longer than I’d like, we’ve had hints of autumn. My daughter just started preschool, and my son is back to school next week. But they had some great times this summer—we traveled, we relaxed (well, at least they did), and we immersed ourselves in some great books.
5 Word Book Reviews (or less)
Here are the books that rocked my kids’ summer.
- Spark-less dragon kindles again! (Oh No, Little Dragon by Jim Averbeck)
- Whimsical adventures in the sky! (Once Upon a Cloud by Claire Keane)
- Kindness is the most beautiful. (Mufaro’s Beautiful Daughters by James Steptoe)
- Flush with laffs. (Captain Underpants and the Tyrannical Retaliation of the Turbo Toilet 2000 by Dav Pilkey)
- Fantasy our son actually likes. (The Annotated Dragonlance Chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman)
Get in on the Instant Win Action
Energizer® and Scholastic are partnering to create the “Power the Possibilities” campaign which gives moms the tools they need to unlock their child’s talents, fuel their ambitions, and set them up for future success. Parents can buy any specially marked pack of Energizer® brand batteries to scratch for a chance to win one of thousands of prizes that will power discovery and learning.
Prizes include a family trip to New York City, a Scholastic Study Corner Makeover, a tablet with Scholastic apps, a library of Scholastic books and more! Everyone who plays can also download free digital stories for their family.
Refrain from Brain Drain
The summer is almost over, but thankfully the Power Up and Read Summer Reading Challenge has you covered. Scholastic‘s Maggie McGuire has 5 easy tips for making reading a priority for your child, like setting a weekly minutes goal, reserving special time to read together as a family, and celebrating reading accomplishments. It’s not too late to get your kids reading.
More Reading Resources
Scholastic has joined together with ENERGIZER® to power the 2015 Summer Reading Challenge and encourage families to find innovative ways to discover the power and joy of reading. It’s not too late to take part! Now through September 4th, visit Scholastic.com/Summer. Click the links below for a sampling of the fun resources you’ll find with Scholastic:
- Unlock Original Short Stories from favorite Scholastic authors!
- Find Parenting Resources including Summer Reading printables, activity sheets, booklists, and more!
- Play the Innovation Machine Game – a fun and creative writing game and contest!
- Visit “Videos in the Stacks” to receive reading tips for parents from Scholastic’s Maggie McGuire!
- Sign up for the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge.
- Learn more about the Energizer® Instant Win Game.
- Follow @Scholastic on Twitter.
- Like the Energizer® Bunny on Facebook.
Scholastic is a GeekMom sponsor.