Reading Time: 2 minutes
While the topic of dating geeks has been well on our minds, Helene McLaughlin (wife of GeekDad Brian!) has composed a list of some tips for dating a wide variety of different geeks. While many of us GeekMoms are quite aware of the answers to these questions, these tips are particularly helpful for the uninitiated. Helene writes:
Geek is a very broad term and really only means that someone is passionately involved with something. Geeks come in all shapes and sizes and their interests are incredibly diverse, just ask Scott Johnson the creator of The 56 Geek Project.
It got me thinking, what advice would I give my children if they ever found themselves dating a person they didn’t understand? Conversation on a first date can be excruciating, wouldn’t it be nice to have a little insight into the interests of the person across the table? Sometimes breaking the ice is all it takes to get a geek to break out of their shell and become comfortable with the situation they are in.
So here it is, a primer. Tips for dating the:
- Astrophysics Geek: When units are measured in lightyears and parsecs, pi equals 3.
- Trek Geek: Kirk or Picard? You must have an answer, it will come up and it’s important.
- Jedi Geek: Han shot first.
- Apple Geek: Its release is purely speculative, no one knows what it will actually look like, no one knows what it will actually do, but its been pre-ordered.
- Engineering Geek: Duct tape can fix everything, and yes they have it with them.