So this is pretty cool, GeekDad readers. We’ve been approached by Kodak to host a Father of the Year contest – and it’s a heck of a contest! The main idea is this: write a story celebrating your dad in the comments below, by midnight, June 20th.
We’ll choose ten winners from the entries submitted who will get Kodak Zi6 HD Pocket Video Cameras to film a short movie to bring their story to life. Post those movies to YouTube, tagged with “GeekDad/Kodak Father of the Year” by midnight July 31st, and send us the link (to firstname.lastname@example.org) so we can show them off.
From those ten, a final winner will picked to receive a trip for two to the Children’s Miracle Network Golf Classic in Orlando, Florida this November, and some awesome Kodak swag.
So, here’s your chance to give a little back to the dad who made you the geek you are!
(Take a look after the jump for the full contest rules, including all the dates and prize info.)
2009 “KODAK FATHER OF THE YEAR” CONTEST
THIS CONTEST IS OPEN ONLY TO LEGAL RESIDENTS OF THE UNITED STATES. ENTRANTS UNDER 18 YEARS OF AGE MUST HAVE PARENTAL PERMISSION PRIOR TO ENTRY.
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR CLAIM PRIZE. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. ELIGIBILITY: The 2009 “Kodak Father of the Year” Contest (the “Contest”) is open to legal residents of the United States. Entrants under 18 years of age must have parental permission prior to entry. Limit one entry per household. Officers, directors, employees and agents of Eastman Kodak Company (Kodak) and its respective affiliated companies, agencies, and immediate families (collectively, the Kodak Affiliates”) are void from participation. The Contest is governed by U.S. law, is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited.
ROUND ONE: Initial entrants will submit 200-300 word describing why their father deserves the “Kodak Father of the Year Award.” Entries should be posted in the comment section of one of the web sites listed above. Official entry period for round 1 will end at 12:01 AM EST on 6/21/2009.
ROUND TWO: 20 finalists will be selected from the pool of initial entrants – 10 via GeekDad and 10 via 5minutesformom.com. These 20 finalists will bring their initial Father of the Year Award entry to life by filming a two to three minute video with a Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera. Kodak will provide one (1) Zi6 Pocket Video Camera to each of the top 20 finalists set for delivery on 7/10/2009. Final entries will be posted to the above web site by 7/31/2009.
3. SELECTION OF WINNERS: All eligible entrants will be judged by a panel of Kodak representatives and GeekDad.com and 5minutesforMom.com editors. Limit one (1) WINNER per household throughout the entire Contest. Any questions regarding the determination of the winner will be decided in the sole discretion of Sponsor, whose decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Contest. Winners will be announced on 8/14/2009.
4. PRIZES: There are a total of 22 prize winners. Eligible prize winners will receive the prize detailed below:
Finalists: 20 finalists will each win one (1) Kodak Zi6 Pocket Video Camera valued at $179.95.
Grand Prize: Two (2) grand prize winners will be awarded:
Accommodations for two winners and their children (two rooms total) for the duration of the Children’s Miracle Classic
Two tickets for each of the two winners (4 tickets total each day of tournament) for the Children’s Miracle Network Classic
Roundtrip airfare for two winners and their child (four people total) to Orlando, FL
Round of golf for two winners and their children at a Disney Golf course
Kodak golf-related product package
Grand prize package valued at $2,220 USD
Prizes are non-transferable and cannot be substituted by the winner. EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY may substitute a prize of equal or greater value in its sole discretion. An individual may only win one-time over the course of the contest. Federal, state and local taxes associated with the acceptance of the prize are the sole responsibility of the winner. Unclaimed or rejected prizes will not be awarded.
5. REDEEMING PRIZES: Finalists and grand prize winners will be notified of their winning status via email. Once notified, the potential winner must respond to the email address within 24-hours of notification with complete legal name and mailing address. All potential winners are subject to verification at the sole discretion of EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY. Anti-fraud detection devices may be used to verify winning certificates. Winning certificates will be void and ineligible for a prize if they fail to pass anti-fraud detection measures, or if found to be photocopied, reproduced, altered, forged, defaced, tampered with, mutilated, torn, stolen, un-issued, unauthorized, traded, bartered, sold, illegitimately obtained or illegible in any way, or if they fail to contain authorized special markings and/or security codes, or if defective or if they contain printing or other mechanical errors. As part of the verification process, EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY may require winners to sign and return an affidavit of eligibility and liability and publicity release within specified time period, or the prize may be forfeited. Unless otherwise agreed by EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, the 20 finalists will receive their Kodak Zi6 via U.S. Mail, FedEx or United Postal Service on or before 07/10/2009. Neither EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY nor its agencies are responsible for lost, late, stolen, misdirected, delayed or damaged prizes.
6. GENERAL: All federal, state and local laws apply. By participating, entrants agree (i) to be bound by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements, and (ii) to be bound by the decisions of EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, which are final and binding in all matters relating to the Contest. EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY is not responsible for: (i) lost, late, misdirected, damaged, garbled or illegible entries; (ii) error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operations or transmission, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to or alterations of entry materials, or for technical, network, telephone equipment, electronic, computer, hardware or software malfunctions of any kind, or inaccurate transmission of or failure to receive entry information by EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site or any combination thereof; or (iii) any injury or damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in the Contest. EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY reserves the right to permanently disqualify from this Contest any person it believes has violated these Official Rules. By accepting or participating in a prize, each winner irrevocably consents to the use of such winner’s name, likeness, image, voice, performance (in connection with interviews and other recordings), biographical information, and statements relating to the Contest or EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY Affiliates, without further compensation, in all world-wide marketing, promotion, and publicity carried out in perpetuity by any of EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY Affiliates in connection with this Contest. EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY reserves the right to terminate, cancel, suspend and/or modify the Contest if any fraud, virus or other problem corrupts the administration, security, or proper play of the Contest, as determined by EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY in its sole discretion. If Contest is terminated before the end date/time, Sponsor will determine the winner from all eligible entries received as of the termination date/time. If any such malfunction, error, disruption or similar damage occurs and impairs the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper play of the Contest, EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY may, in its sole discretion, suspend or terminate the Contest by posting a notice at http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/ (Geek Dad) and http://www.5minutesformom.com/ (5 Minutes for Mom)
7. DISCLAIMERS: Under no circumstances, including negligence, shall any of EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY Affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death, resulting from participation in the Contest or acceptance, use or misuse of any prize. Notwithstanding the foregoing, in the event that the preceding release is determined by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or void for any reason, the entrant agrees that, by entering the Contest, (a) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action; (b) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Sweepstakes, but in no event attorney’s fees; and (c) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim, punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses. Entrants hereby acknowledge that EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY Affiliates have neither made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied (including, but not limited to warranties of any kind concerning the appearance, safety or performance of any prize), in fact or in law, relative to any prize. Each winner shall bear all risk of loss or damage to his/her prize after it has been delivered to such winner via U.S. Mail, FedEx, United Parcel Service, or any other shipping agent.
8. Winners’ Names: For names of winners, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope, (postage not required for Vermont residents) to: EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 343 State St. Rochester, NY 14650.