There comes a time in every GeekDad’s life where the "old" shines through.
Your child is bemoaning the battery life on his DS and suddenly you’re a parody of every old fogie you ever made fun of growing up.
"Back in my day, we didn’t have fancy portable gaming systems. We had to haul our butts to arcades, uphill both ways barefoot because we used our shoe money to get quarters to play with!"
The fact remains that we GeekDads are getting on in years. Here’s a friendly reminder of just how long ago the good old days really were.
It has been more than 30 years since…
- …Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope was released in theaters.
- …the Atari 2600 was first sold in stores.
It has been more than 25 years since…
- …Donkey Kong began throwing barrels at us.
- …the interlok was activated and we were able to watch Voltron.
It has been more than 20 years since…
- …Star Trek: The Next Generation began airing on television.
- …we were able to get our mitts on a Nintendo Entertainment System.
It has been more than 15 years since…
- …Babylon 5 began its first of 5 seasons.
- …we could start blowing our money on Magic: The Gathering booster packs.
It has been more than 10 years since…
I believe we’re just scratching the surface here, so feel free to chime in. What would you add to the GeekDad time line that makes you say "dang, I’m old?"