As a life long Star Trek fan, anything that allows me to spend time in that universe is a plus and a well-designed RPG sourcebook to one of the most fascinating parts of that universe is just the type of thing to sink my teeth into.
Star Trek RPGs have been around since FASA introduced Star Trek: The Role-Playing Game in 1982. Over the years, I have seen them grow and change to include all of the Star Trek universe. The Alpha Quadrant was featured primarily on the program Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, a show that has had a resurgence in popularity in the past few years. Many fans believe that DS9, as it is more popularly known, is the superior modern Star Trek show, with the “Dominion Wars” storyline to be the best story ark in all of Star Trek lore, period.
Considering the high quality of those stories, it would makes sense that a comprehensive sourcebook that focuses on the Alpha Quadrant and all of the planets, races, and factions within it would make the perfect addition to any game master looking to make a truly compelling Star Trek campaign.
Between the Covers of Star Trek: Alpha Quandrant Sourcebook
Within the 128-page hardcover sourcebook, a game master may set up some wonderful campaigns between the United Federation of Planets and such diverse alien races as the Cardassian Union (Not the Kardashian Union that is something else entirely), the Ferengi Alliance, and the Breen Confederacy.
The book is beautifully illustrated throughout and comes with a multitude of maps and NPC Stats for you to plug into your adventure.
Even as a life long Star Trek fan, I was able to find many things that I had either forgotten or never known of in the first place. This is what makes the Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook so much fun, even if you never intend to play the game. It is just a great tome for any Star Trek fan and at just $30.99 for the Hard Back edition and $14.99 for the PDF edition, it is also very affordable.
So if you are a lover of the Star Trek Adventures RPG, or Star Trek in general and DS9 specifically, I would definitely snatch up a copy!
Some of the new additions to the Star Trek Adventures game in The Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook include
- Eleven new alien species players can choose from during character generation, including Aurelians, Caitians, Edosians, and Ferengi.
- A selection of alien starships from the Cardassian Union, the Ferengi Alliance, the Breen Confederacy, and the Tholian Assembly.
- Guidance for the Gamemaster on running missions and continuing voyages in the Alpha Quadrant, along with a selection of plot components to help plan adventures and several new Non-Player Characters to enhance encounters.
- Details on the Federation’s presence in the Alpha Quadrant up to 2372, and details on the homeworlds of Betazed, Denobula, Tellar Prime, and Trill.
- Material about the people, history, and culture of Bajor and the Cardassian Union, including details on Cardassia Prime and other worlds.
- Information about the Ferengi Alliance, the Tzenkethi Coalition, the Breen Confederacy, and the Tholian Assembly.
Disclaimer: A copy of The Star Trek Adventures Alpha Quadrant Sourcebook was made available by Modiphius Entertainment.
You may read my previous articles HERE.