The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending January 11, 2019.
- Fantasy Flight has announced the upcoming release of a Servants of Strife expansion pack for X-Wing Miniatures, including General Grievous’ ship and Vulture fighters.
- The Expanse board game, which officially joined my list of “games I own but haven’t played yet” on Christmas, has an expansion coming soon as well. Corners and Doors adds five new modules to the game based on the TV show based on the novels.
- Speaking of licensed games, Terminator Genisys: Rise of the Resistance, new from River Horse, is a cooperative tactical board game. It includes miniatures, but doesn’t appear to be related to the older miniatures game based on the same movie.
- Renegade Games has announced the upcoming release of Proving Grounds, the first title in the Solo Hero Series. The game is a solitaire dice-roller that includes a novella that tells the game’s backstory.
- Evolution is coming to PC, Mac, iOS, and Android on February 12. Stay tuned here to GeekDad for a review coming soon.
- Jake Theis, former director of marketing for Gen Con, has moved over to take on the same role at Ravensburger. He’ll definitely be missed at Gen Con—he has long been a primary contact for GeekDad there—but we wish him well in his new post.
- And on the topic of Gen Con: passes for the 2019 convention, which will run from August 1–4 in Indianapolis, go on sale on Saturday, January 13, at noon Eastern. Don’t miss out!
- Finally, we here at GeekDad are saddened to announce that Dave Banks, who has been a contributor to the blog since way back in our days at Wired and had recently taken on the role of Tabletop Games Editor, has decided to focus on his business and family and will, therefore, be taking an indefinite leave of absence from writing for us. We will all miss Dave’s contributions, and wish him the best of luck.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Rob Huddleston played Villainous, All-Star Baseball, Lanterns, Above and Below, and Paperback.
- Jonathan Liu played The Boy Who Cried Wolf, Beta Colony, New Frontiers, Shards of Infinity, and Welcome To…
- Robin Brooks played Warhammer Underworlds: Nightvault, Coup, and Topiary.
- Will James played Dungeons & Dragons.
- Michael Pistiolas played Star Wars: Imperial Assault and Gloomhaven.
- Erik Stanfill played Gloomhaven, Concept, Codenames Pictures, and Keyforge.
- Michael Harrison played Arkham Horror: The Card Game and Betrayal Legacy.