It’s Scythe on Orphan Black, a sell out at Gen Con, the British Museum, and much more in this week’s edition of the tabletop game news roundup. Let’s Re-Roll things…
- We are truly living in a golden age of tabletop games, kiddos. In about a week’s time, on August 12, Stonemaier Games’ Scythe will be featured in the background of the series finale of Orphan Black. Cool!
- Fantasy Flight has finally published the rules for Legends of the Five Rings. Have at ’em!
- Warlord Games will be releasing a Doctor Who miniatures game, called Exterminate!, later this month.
- WizKids will be releasing The Witching Hour in October (of course), a cooperative game where players interact as a witch coven, trying to bind demons, banish warlocks, and balance white and black magic.
- I’m fond of Irving Finkel. He’s everything I expect and want in a curator from the British Museum. He is also a board game historian and–I guess I originally missed it–but he created this video for Tabletop Day where he plays Ur with YouTuber Tom Scott. It’s fun!
- There’s another preview of an expansion in Cities of Splendor. This time it’s The Far East, where players will sell to Asian cities that have unique (and sometimes double) rewards.
- Z-Man announced they were bringing the Reiner Knizia classic Through the Desert to its Euro Classics line. It will be out soon with a nice little overhaul to its look.
- If you’re a Heroes of Normandie fan, there is a mountain of stuff coming out next week: a new scenarios pack called Desert Wrath, a compendium, a couple of Gazettes, three or four expansions… it’s a lot.
- The previously Kickstarted Windup War will make its way to shelves next week. It’s a neat little pocket-sized game that I’ve been playing that pits toybox foes against one another. Families will love it.
- Stronghold Games will be returning to shelves with Flamme Rouge next week, a tactical bike racing game. I just want to know when the doping expansion drops.
- Gen Con is predicting Thursday badges will be sold out this morning, with Friday badges not far behind. And, speaking of Gen Con, look for our “Things we are most excited about at Gen Con” post early next week.
- We don’t usually touch on Kickstarter at Re-Roll, but this mid-year report is too good to pass up. Check out the continuous growth in tabletop games!
- Seems that Flying Frog is going to do their own convention. So if you like their games and want to travel to Seattle, mark October 28-29 on your calendar.
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Jonathan Liu predicted what would happen before the Earth exploded.
- Yours truly got his butt to Mars and told you about an amazingly fun family auction/racing/betting game.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Rob Huddleston: Bidder Up!
- Jonathan Liu: Dead Man’s Draw, Cardline: Animals, Deep Sea Adventure, Kingdomino, Timeline: Star Wars, Word Domination, Dr. Beaker, Before the Earth Explodes
- Robin Brooks: Outfoxed, Citadels, Paperback, Bang! The Dice Game, Shipwreck Arcana
- Anthony Karcz: Avengers UNO
- Dave Banks: Downforce, Indulgence, Bob Ross: Art of Chill Game, Happy Salmon, Kingdomino, Modern Art