MAGE Company is at it again with their 28th Kickstarter campaign for 12 Realms: Dungeonland, a miniature dungeon crawler for 1-4 players.
New to Kickstarter? Check out our crowdfunding primer.
12 Realms: Dungeonland is a completely standalone game though it is set in the same world as previous 12 Realms games. Players will take on the role of a famous fairy tale character, like Little Red Riding Hood, Snow White, or the Wizard of Oz, and fight their way through the 12 Realms against the twisted characters and creatures from many different stories, like the Headless Knight or Zombie Musketeers, to try to stop the dark and powerful magic that is corrupting all of the realms.
I haven’t gotten to actually play the game yet, but I did get a peek at the rulebook and an early print and play prototype, and it looks like 12 Realms: Dungeonland will have everything you’d expect from a dungeon crawler—movement through random tiles, exploration, monsters, treasure, etc.—along with some not as common features like skill trees for your character do there is a feeling of progression. There are standalone battles but there will also be adventures to play through and a single player mode which everyone knows I’m a big fan of.
The base game will include:
- 1 Rulebook (includes campaign mode, arena mode, master quest, multiple scenarios and alternative endings)
- 6 Hero Sheets
- 3 Boss Sheets
- 52 Minion Cards
- 66 Equipment Cards
- 11 Spell Cards
- 10 Consumable Cards
- 30 Event Cards
- 4 Initiative Cards
- 39 Exploration Cards
- 13 Map Tiles
- 15 Custom Dice
- 64 Tokens
- 52 Scenery Tokens
- 46 total miniatures (21 different models)
- 20 metal gold coins
If you’re anything like me, the miniatures are almost more important than the game itself (yes, I’ll admit I’ve backed or bought things just for the minis). The 45 miniatures include:
- 6 Hero minis–Red Riding Hood, Grumpy Dwarf, Wizard of Oz, Snow White, Rapunzel, and Prince Charming (and thankfully none of the female characters appear to have been made overly sexualized like I see in a lot of games).
- 8 different minion minis for a total of 32 minis (four of each)–including bandits, werewolves, chicken warriors, rat soldiers, and more!
- 3 Boss minis–Big Bad Wolf, Magic Mirror, and The Witch Hag.
- 2 Elite Minion minis–Headless Rider and Dark Unicorn.
- 2 Dungeon mini doors
I’m looking forward to seeing more of the game and trying it out. I’ll be posting more about the game shortly before the campaign ends. If you hop over to the MAGE Company Twitter you can see more peeks at the minis as they’ve been posting progress pics of many of them as they get sculpted.
NOTE: This campaign was canceled and slightly tweaked before relaunching. The details have been updated to reflect the minor changes.