Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- Starting off with a few items that I forgot about last week, Days of Wonder announced a new stand-alone game, Ticket to Ride: Germany. It’s an updated version of the Deutschland version and will release at Gen Con. Alles einsteigen!
- If you’re a fan of Tokaido, the zen-like traveling game, but missed out on the Deluxe Edition, you’re in luck. Passport Games and FunForge announced you can now buy the 16 unpainted minis as a standalone expansion item.
- WizKids announced a Batman expansion to the DC Comics Dice Masters game. Each foil pack is just a buck!
- And now, on to the newer stuff. A longtime GeekDad favorite, Rory’s Story Cubes, keep on growing. New, themed sets coming your way in June include Moomin, Scooby Doo, Looney Tunes, Doctor Who, and Adventure Time.
- Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you probably know that Fantasy Flight’s Star Wars: Destiny is the hot new game. At last week’s Celebration, a new booster pack was announced: Empire at War, featuring Sabine Wren–can’t wait for more details!
- A couple of big games make their ways to store shelves in the coming week. Android: Netrunner‘s long anticipated expansion, Terminal Directive, will allow you to uncover a murder mystery. The previously Kickstarted Kharnage will be for sale next week. If you’re into fast, fun, and violent card games, this one is for you. Another expansion, Tricks and Mercenaries, was also in the news this week.
- Finally, Fantasy Flight unfurled Legend of the Five Rings, a living card game of conflict and honor. The game, which was originally released as a popular CCG way back in 1995, is set in feudal Japan and will have limited availability at Gen Con, followed by wide release in Q4.
- Oni Press and Renegade Games will be sending Scott Pilgrim’s Precious Little Card Game to shops this summer. The deck-building game is designed for 2-6 players, aged 13 and up.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Ryan Hiller: Pathfinder RPG
- Rob Huddleston: Get Reelz, Codenames
- Michael Harrison: Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Carcassonne, Lords of Waterdeep, Ticket to Ride, Yspahan
- Robin Brooks: Evolution. Star Wars: Destiny. Love Letter
- Jonathan Liu: Take the Gold (upcoming Kickstarter), BattleGoats, Fugitive, PACG: Mummy’s Mask, Onirim, Steal This Game, Wok on Fire, Karmaka
- Rory Bristol: Ascension: Gift of the Elements, Pandemic Cthulhu
- Randy Slavey: Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, 7 Wonders
- Chris Wickersham: Settlers of Catan, Kingdom Builder, Headbandz
- Dave Banks: Terraforming Mars, Championship Formula Racing, 7 Wonders Duel, Sagrada