Here are the latest announcements and stories that caught our eyes this week:
- After a few weeks with lots of news, this one is pretty thin. In fact, there aren’t really any new releases this coming week! Anyway, away we go …
- Rio Grande announced Orient Express from Carlan and Jeff Horger, a successor to their previous game, 20th Century Limited. This time, however, the lines are being set in Europe as players try to balance private ownership and public demands.
- Kyle Ferrin, who did the artwork for one of our favorites, Vast, tweeted out this peek at Deep: Enemy Frontier. The game is being designed by Samuel Bailey (Forbidden Stars, various Talisman, Elder Sign expansions) and will be an asymmetric sci-fi strategy game for 2-4 players. Players will have different roles and objectives in a battle over a lonely corner of the galaxy. Kyle is also a GeekDad reader–Hi Kyle!
- WizKids renewed its agreement to produce Star Trek games and, at the same time, announced its expanded offerings. Read about the agreement and the new card packs, unpainted minis, and more; check it out.
- Asmodee announced another Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective game. The Thames Murders and Other Cases will present you and the other Baker Street Irregulars with ten new mysteries when it drops third quarter this year.
- PAX Unplugged, Penny Arcade’s first con devoted solely to tabletop, will take place November 17-19 in Philadelphia. Tickets will go on sale May 3 with single day tickets at $25 and three-days for $60. If you’ve got a 6-12-year-old, they can roll in on Sunday for just ten bucks.
- Renegade Games announced another new game, Sentient, a dice and card game for 2-4 players. Players will represent manufacturing companies, tasked with choosing the right mix of sentient robots to run their factories and to help attract investors. The game is designed by J. Alex Kevern (Gold West, World’s Fair 1893).
- That’s it. I told you, slow week!
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Mike LeSauvage: Dominion, Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- Randy Slavey: Abalone
- Jonathan Liu: Happy Salmon, Emperor’s New Clothes, Vast: The Crystal Caverns, Clank!, Frogriders, Go Go Gelato!, Ice Cool, Kingdomino, Sailing Toward Osiris (upcoming Kickstarter), Shadowrift, The Grimm Forest (review), Anachrony, Apocrypha (prototype), Dungeons Are Dangerous! (prototype), Hardback (review), Herbaceous, Rise to Nobility (review), Roll Player, Sea of Clouds, Villages of Valeria, Wanted Earth (upcoming Kickstarter), Pathfinder ACG: Mummy’s Mask.
- Sophie Brown: Star Trek Catan, Patchwork, Great Scott!
- Gerry Tolbert: Happy Salmon, Wonky, You Gotta Be Kitten Me, Monza
- Robin Brooks: Scaredy Cat, Savage Planet, D&D 5th ed.
- Michael Harrison: Arkham Horror LCG, Carcassonne, Dungeons & Dragons 5E, Lords of Waterdeep and Scoundrels of Skullport expansion, Yspahan
- Dave Banks: Tokaido, Cottage Garden, Planetarium, Constellations