Some movie stars are incredibly handsome or beautiful, and some movie stars are very nice people who enjoy talking with the press and their fans. When you’re talking to two men who fit in both those categories, it can be a little daunting. At the recent press trip I was on for Avengers: Age of Ultron, I participated in a group interview of Chris Evans (“Captain America”) and Chris Hemsworth (“Thor”). They were an absolute blast to talk with.
There was a lot of discussion about preparing for their roles – Evans repeated the statements he made last year for Captain America: The Winter Soldier about basing his portrayal on Charlie Morris, a friend of his who was an Eagle Scout. Both Evans and Hemsworth talked about the great chemistry the members of the cast have for one-another, and that it was refreshing to film the scene (part of which is in one of the movie’s trailers) where the male Avengers try to pick up Thor’s hammer:
- It was a good scene.
- It was great. It was good to see us all in normal clothes and not being superheroes. And for me personally, Thor can get so kind of stuck being the godly prince or king or whatever he is. And I can’t keep up either. You know, it’s nice to be in civilian clothes. And what do these guys do when they’re not saving the world? You know, I think it’s relatable for people in the audience. And that was exciting to read and be a part of.
- Well said.
Hemsworth’s mention of Thor’s style of speaking prompted this follow-up question, which produced possibly the best response to any interview question ever. I wish I had audio to share with you, because reading it won’t give you the full effect, but it will have to do:
- Going to the last question we had a second ago, do you ever kind of go into God-speak every so often?
- Just when things need to get done. No: [switches to Thor voice] Just when the lights go off, yeah, honey.
- Best answer ever! There’s no answer that is going to be better than that one ever. I was going to make a horrible joke about putting the cap back on the toothpaste. That is so much better. Oh man, I’m not Thor. There it is. That’s the best answer of the day.
- [still in Thor voice] Honey, let’s bring the thunder. [switches back to normal voice] Too far? Too far?
- Oh, Jesus.
- [back in Thor voice] Let’s make it rain in here.
- That’s phenomenal. God. What’s Cap speak?
- [emulating Captain America] Let’s talk about this.
It was nice to see two movie stars, who were talking to a bunch of bloggers as part of a long day of interviews with literally hundreds of people, be relaxed and open and funny.
If you haven’t yet, please read my (spoiler-free) review of Avengers: Age of Ultron, which debuts May 1 in theaters. And if you haven’t bought tickets for opening weekend yet, what are you waiting for?
My press trip to L.A. was paid for by Marvel/Disney. All opinions expressed here are my own.
3 thoughts on “Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth Talk ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron,’ “God-Speak” in the Bedroom”
Is it just me or was the female-to-male ratio kinda skewed in that group interview?
It’s not just you. 🙂
Oh man, you got PAID to go there and interview those two? I’d be paying Marvel/Disney if I could, that is my dream job right there!
In all seriousness, it’s nice to see that both Chris’s are so nice and down to earth (and fun!), thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Comments are closed.