Wizards of the Coast has announced that they are in cahoots with some of the world’s most famous geeks and game designers for the Magic 2015 project. George Fan, the designer of Plants vs. Zombies, participated in this mash-up, which birthed the terrifying, bizarre, and altogether amazing Genesis Hydra.
With a look akin to a Venus flytrap gone horribly wrong, the Genesis Hydra is exactly what I hoped for, and feared. The pile of bones gives a nod to the fact that zombies are not welcome on the field with this floral force of nature. The (X) cost makes this card, though. In the “big game” mentality of 2015, mana ramps will continue be a core component of Green play, and the biggest challenge for turn and burn decks to overcome. The bonus of a free-play behemoth (if you are lucky, or your deck is well built) means that players that slam the Genesis Hydra onto the field will drop a double dose of mean muscle in a single play. I feel myself itching for a Cancel.
Along with George Fan, 13 other geek-elites have teamed up with Wizards for this year’s release. We can only wait for the other 13 cards to be released, and you can bet your deck that I will seek out all 14 of them.
- George Fan: Plants vs Zombies
- Mike Krahulik & Jerry Holkins (Gabe and Tycho): Penny Arcade
- Markus “Notch” Persson: Minecraft/Mojang
- Richard Garriot “Lord British”: the Ultima series
- David Sirlin: Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix; Yomi
- Rob Pardo: World of Warcraft
- Isaiah Cartwright: Guild Wars 2
- Justin Gary: Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer; Solforge
- Stone Librande: Riot Games; Diablo 3; SimCity
- Brian Fargo: inXile Entertainment, Bard’s Tale, Wasteland, Fallout
- Mike Neumann: Gearbox Software; Borderlands
- James Ernest: Cheapass Games; Kill Doctor Lucky
- Edmund McMillen: Super Meat Boy, featured in Indie Game: The Movie
- Brad Muir: Double Fine Productions
Is your idol on this list? Mine is, and I can’t wait to see what Notch throws at us.