After the excitement of the Disney Infinity launch I had an interview with John Blackburn. I used the time to find out how the game was going to be sold at retail, how upgrade packs function and how integral the toy figures really are to the game.
I asked whether there was ever a time when the game existed without the toys. “John Lasseter said, ‘Look, I want a line of collectible toys that [goes] along with this.’ So everything in the game is a virtual toy and we designed the actual figurines from the get go.”
I also asked whether they had considered mixing up the franchises in the main Disney Infinity story elements. “We realized really quickly it would be easier to get the different creatives and film makers to buy into the idea if we had a true-to-property experience. Then Toy Box mode is ‘your’ bedroom floor where you can play how you want to.”
I asked how it would be retailed and Blackburn talked me through the different packs:
- Starter Pack $74.99: Game, three figures, Infinity Base, Play-set token for three adventures (Monsters University, Pirates and The Incredibles) and upgrade token.
- Expansion Pack $34.99: Two figures and a Play-set token for as yet unannounced franchises for launch.
- Figures $12.99: One figure.
- Power-discs $4.99: Two tokens in each foil pack but unseen before purchase.
It was interesting to hear that there are more play-set adventures to be added to the line-up before the June launch, and also that there will be a total of 17 figures, 3 Play-set pieces and 20 power discs. The numbers seem to suggest we will have another two play-sets (in addition to the Play-set token in the Disney Infinity starter pack). Star Wars figures, anyone?
Here are some links to keep tabs on the different products on Amazon:
Pirates of the Caribbean Figures:
- Jack Sparrow (included in the Starter Pack)
- Hector Barbossa (included as Single Pack and Sidekicks Pack)
- Davy Jones
The Incredibles Figures:
- Mr. Incredible (included in Starter Pack)
- Elastigirl (included in Sidekicks Pack)
Monsters University Figures: