As I wrote up the review of the customizable doorbell, it occurred to me that this is totally untapped list fodder. Just like we use ringtones on our phones to define and display our personalities (mine is the Guan-di song from “My Name is Bruce”), so too can our doorbells. In that spirit, here are 10 ideas for great geeky chimes (both simple sounds as well as quotes) to use for your customized doorbell:
- The Tardis landing: this is what we’re using. The sound is so recognizable, and for so many former companions inspires a Pavlovian reaction to come and find the source.
- HAL, from 2001: A Space Odyssey: something along the lines of “Open the pod bay doors, HAL.” “I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t do that.”
- The Wilheim Scream: The single-most famous sound effect in all of movies, the scream has been heard in every Star Wars film, and many video games to boot.
- Gandalf saying “The Doors of Durin — Lord of Moria. Speak, friend, and enter.” From The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring.
- Chewbacca, saying pretty much anything.
- The sound of a phaser set to overload, from Star Trek (the original series).
- The shark theme from Jaws (or pretty much any John Williams theme).
- The stargate sound, and Walter crying “Incoming wormole!” from Stargate: SG1.
- The theme from The X-Files.
- King Arthur, saying “I command you, in the name of the Knights of Camelot, to open the doors of this sacred castle, to which God himself has guided us!” from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Feel free to add your own suggestions in the comments!