Some things go great together; like chocolate and peanut butter, fish and chips, ice cream and cake, and of course, LEGO and Star Wars. The couple will celebrate their ten year anniversary this May 3rd.
If you head over to the official LEGO online store, you will be able to find some pretty great deals on Star Wars sets right now and a hint at something special. At 12:01 am on May 3rd, LEGO will be making an official announcement on their website concerning the Star Wars line. LEGO officials are very tight lipped about the announcement so we will just have to find out together in a couple of days.
Here are some fun facts courtesy of PR Newswire:
- From 1999 to the end of 2008, a total of 106,107,779 LEGO Star Wars products have been sold.
- In 2008, nearly 15 million LEGO Star Wars sets were sold worldwide, equaling, on average: 40,402 boxes per day, 1,683 boxes per hour, 28 boxes per minute, every day, around the world.
- A total of 182 LEGO Star Wars sets have been created in the last 10 years.
- The best-selling LEGO Star Wars set is the original 7140 X-wing Fighter(TM) from 1999.
- From 1999-2009, a total of 254 LEGO minifigures have been introduced to enhance the fun and encourage creative play and collectibility within the LEGO Star Wars franchise.
- The largest LEGO Star Wars model ever created and sold is the Ultimate Collector’s Millennium Falcon, featuring 5,197 pieces, launched in October, 2007.
- In 2006, LEGO Star Wars was recognized by the Toy Industry Association with a prestigious Toy of the Year (T.O.T.Y.) Award for Best Activity Toy.
- LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game, released in 2005, sold 6.7 million units worldwide and ranked among the top 10 video games of the year in the U.S. In 2006, LEGO Star Wars 2 sold 8.2 million units and received the BAFTA Award for Best Gameplay. LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, released in 2007, sold 3.4 million units.
(Photo courtesy of lego.com)
(This post by new GeekDad writer Tony Sims)