The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending September 6, 2019.
- Stonemaier Games opened up pre-orders for Tapestry. It ends today (Friday), and they have limited availability, so get your orders in now.
- Iello has two new titles coming soon. Ninja Academy is a 3-5 player dexterity game. The same team that designed that is also behind Double Rumble, a new expansion for 8-Bit Box that emulates the classic 1v1 side-scrolling fight games from arcades of old. Both are available for pre-order now. Double is due on shelves September 19, while no specific date has been announced for Ninja.
- LAIKA Studio’s classic stop-motion film Coraline is coming to tabletops with the WizKid’s release of Coraline: Beware the Mother. The cooperative card game is due out in December.
- Capstone Games has a new title set in the Caribbean in the 17th century. Maracaibo is a Euro game where players take on the role of ship captains trying to navigate the perilous world of the Age of Pirates. The game will be released at Essen.
- Spiel des Jahres winner Azul is getting another game in the series. Azul: Summer Pavilions has elongated diamond tiles that players need to place on circular rosettes. The game will be previewed at Essen, and it should be on shelves in time for Christmas.
- Drawlab will be releasing Alice in Wordland, a word-based party game in which players have to come up with words on a topic but cannot use words that contain a letter that the Queen of Hearts has decided she doesn’t like. The game is due out at Essen.
- Can we ever have too much Fluxx? Of course not. What kind of silly question is that, anyway? This month sees the release of Jumanji Fluxx and Marvel Fluxx. Target and Walmart will get exclusive Cardinal Games editions, which will retail for $15. Game stores and other outlets will get a Looney Labs edition that will feature 7 bonus carda and retail for $20.
GeekDad and GeekMom Reviews
Here are the games we’ve reviewed this week:
- Jonathan Liu reviewed Here Comes the Dog, which is this week’s featured image.
- Elizabeth MacAndrew reviewed Ice Cream Dice Grab Bags.
What We’re Playing
Finally, here’s what the GeekDads played this week:
- Jonathan Liu played 3 Secrets, Ecos: First Continent, Calico, Clank! Expeditions: Temple of the Ape Lords, Colorful Treasure, Here Comes the Dog, Meeple Party, The Quick and the Undead, Roll For It!, Sabotage, and Time Chase.
- Robin Brooks played Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress and Block Happy.
- Greg Howley played Forbidden Island, Labyrinth, and Sentinels of the Multiverse.
This post was last modified on September 6, 2019 11:41 pm