The board game (and board game-related!) news that caught our attention for the week ending April 13, 2018.
- Please note, I will be out of town, so there will be no Re-Roll next week.
- This week’s image is from Dinosaur Island.
- Renegade announced Overlight, a fantasy RPG, at Gen Con last year. Time has passed and the development continues on this ambitious project. This week, they announced the game will be launched via Kickstarter on April 24.
- The story out of Southeast Asia continues to get worse for gamers. When news first broke, back in March, about Boarders Tabletop Game Studio (a Kickstarter distributor for the region), it was hoped to just be miscommunication. Now it looks like outright fraud on a huge level.
- River Horse, who most recently put out Jim Henson’s Labyrinth: The Board Game, The Highlander, and are currently wrapping up a Kickstarter for Pacific Rim: Extinction, announced a new miniatures game called Terminator Genisys: Rise of the Resistance. Like the others, it is a Kickstarter project.
- The guys over at Shut Up & Sit Down are now selling tickets for SHUX ’18, their second-ever convention. It’ll take place October 12-14 in Vancouver, just north of the border. Get tickets now!
- 5 Minute Dungeon will be hitting shelves next week with its second printing and a funky, weird new box.
- Feudem is also scheduled to show up at your FLGS, with all its expansions. I’ve not played it yet, but I hear great things and, when the boxes are all set together properly, it makes a beautiful mural. I love that detail!
- Ares Games has signed a deal to bring Battlestar Galactica — Starship Battles to tables everywhere. The game will feature pre-assembled, pre-painted miniatures. Look for a preview at Gen Con this summer.
- That’s it. Slow week.
At GeekDad, we write a lot about tabletop games. Here’s what we’ve written about this past week:
- Jamie Greene wrote about an abstract Tic Tac Toe game called Otrio.
- Jonathan Liu reviewed the latest from Looney Labs, Get the MacGuffin, and took a trip to Dinosaur Island from Pandasaurus Games.
Finally, here’s what some of the GeekDad Crew has been playing this week:
- Logan Giannini: Azul, Zombicide Green Horde, Clank!, Stop Thief!
- Simon Yule: D&D Curse Of Strahd, Monsters versus Heroes
- Michael Harrison: Arkham Horror: The Card Game, Scythe, Vikings
- Jonathan Liu: Magic Maze, Space Base, Visitor in Blackwood Grove, Get the MacGuffin, Decrypto, Emperor’s New Clothes, Helionox, Sol: Last Days of a Star, Clank!, Fantastic Factories, Thieves’ Den, Creeps of Keister Island, Seals of Cthulhu, Cursed Court, Dinosaur Island, Filler, Hardback, King Frog, Legendary Creatures, The Pirate’s Flag, Queendomino, Thunderstone Quest, Tiny Epic Zombies
- Sara Blackburn: Codenames, Exploding Kittens
- Robin Brooks: Exploding Kittens, Stuffed Fables, Warhammer Underworlds: Shadespire, Red 7, Anomia, Evolution
- Dave Banks: Bunny Kingdom, Ethnos, Explorers of the North Sea: Rocks of Ruin