Summer blockbuster are on their way, but until then, we still have to slog through an April full of mediocre new releases. One possible standout is The Circle. This thriller based on the bestselling book stars Emma Watson, John Boyega, Patton Oswalt, and Tom Hanks in what appears to be the role of the villain, which is interesting considering his adamance regarding never playing the bad guy in a movie. It also stars Bill Paxton in his final role.
Meanwhile, at the hall of Netflix, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow‘s second season arrives alongside two classic favorites, Schindler’s List and The Prestige, and two new original series, Bill Nye Saves the World and Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return. Misty fans helped resurrect this cult classic on Kickstarter at the request of creator Joel Hodgson, and while the inclusion of nerd favorites Patton Oswalt and Felicia Day leaves me optimistic, the real beauty of the show was the jokes and the interaction between the actors. Given that former head writer and host Mike Nelson and original voice actors Trace Beaulieu and Josh Weinstein are not involved, as well as the unknown quantity of its new host Jonah, it’s a cautious optimism.
- April 01 – Schindler’s List (1993) (Netflix)
- April 04 – Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Blu-Ray / DVD)
- April 04 – LEGO City Undercover (Video Game)
- April 08 – Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) (Netflix)
- April 11 – Hidden Figures (Blu-Ray / DVD)
- April 11 – Lion (Blu-Ray / DVD)
- April 12 – DC’s Legends of Tomorrow (Season 2) (Netflix)
- April 14 – Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return (Season 1) (Netflix)
- April 18 – The Disney Afternoon Collection (Video Game)
- April 21 – Bill Nye Saves the World (Season 1) (Netflix)
- April 21 – The Prestige (2006) (Netflix)
- April 25 – La La Land (Blu-Ray / DVD)
- April 28 – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Video Game)