In Hamburg, Germany, housed in a nondescript brick building, you’ll find the Miniatur Wunderland – the largest HO scale model railroad in the world. The model, which has taken more than 500,000 hours to build since the beginning of its construction in 2000, is astounding in its size and detail:
- More than 16,000 square feet in size
- 36,000 feet of HO track
- 900 trains and 12,000 carriages operating on a continuous schedule
- 300,000 street, house and casino lights putting on a dazzling display
- Nearly a quarter million trees dotting the landscape
- 200,000 human figures populating the display
A miniature airport is scheduled to open this year, adding another large section, and there are plans to nearly double the exhibit by 2014. The Miniatur Wunderland is open 365 days a year and reservations are recommended.